New fish tattooed?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

Yeah ! Today my sister gave me a big fish tank and we got fish! I got a white frog ( papa gauy) an angel fish ( Lucy(fer)) an upsidedown cat fish , it is so strange he swims upside down! too funny , his name is askew , a little catfish type named ted , a bottom feeder ( buster aka dust buster:)) , a little neon blue fish (berry) , and last but not least I went to this pet store and they had Tattooed fish! It is so strange , she has a purple heart on one side and the word "love" on the other side of her. I know it sounds mean , but i just had to get her , it was so unique. And the person at the store said no needles were used and it was completely safe and painless. he also said to google it :p Hopefully I can get a pick of her up . :)

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... p?news=850

"Welfare issues
Dr Peter Burgess, a fish health consultant whose work on dyed glassfish was published in Practical Fishkeeping in the 1990s, told us:

"The skin of a fish is living tissue throughout. Any colouring method that damages the skin's protective surface will render fish prone to potentially life-threatening infections.

The artificial colouring by laser presumably involves restraining the fish out of water for some time and this is likely to cause further unnecessary stress. And how do we know it isn't painful?
"This practice should be condemned as being cruel and totally unnecessary..."

"This practice should be condemned as being cruel and totally unnecessary. It devalues living creatures and treats them as if they were some inanimate object that can be decorated purely for whim or commercial gain. For too long, fish have been widely perceived as cold, unfeeling creatures that do not perceive pain, but we know this is far from true. This despicable practice only serves to perpetuate the myth."

Thank you for that article, however , this kind of tattooing is done in the water. The fish are given a sort of relaxant in the water then a water proof paint is applied. They actually did it while the fish was still in water . So i was told .

Ewa said:
Yeah ! Today my sister gave me a big fish tank and we got fish! I got a white frog ( papa gauy) an angel fish ( Lucy(fer)) an upsidedown cat fish , it is so strange he swims upside down! too funny , his name is askew , a little catfish type named ted , a bottom feeder ( buster aka dust buster:)) , a little neon blue fish (berry) , and last but not least I went to this pet store and they had Tattooed fish! It is so strange , she has a purple heart on one side and the word "love" on the other side of her. I know it sounds mean , but i just had to get her , it was so unique. And the person at the store said no needles were used and it was completely safe and painless. he also said to google it :p Hopefully I can get a pick of her up . :)

some articles about tatooed fish
http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php ... 7215910486
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.a ... ovider=top
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... p?news=850

Aren't fish pretty enough as it is without having to paint them?? especially tropic fish.

I seriously dont think this is a cool thing to do. pretty stupid really

Edit:

""This practice should be condemned as being cruel and totally unnecessary. It devalues living creatures and treats them as if they were some inanimate object that can be decorated purely for whim or commercial gain. For too long, fish have been widely perceived as cold, unfeeling creatures that do not perceive pain, but we know this is far from true. This despicable practice only serves to perpetuate the myth."

I hope you set the tank up with the appropriate chemicals days ahead of time.......did you check your PH levels before purchasing the fish? Did you check your water temperature? All your fish will get sick and die if you didn't do these steps. :stickpoke:

Trust me , in high school I was a nerd about PH levels and different water ecosystems. I was a teacher to 9th graders when i was a senior. So , no worries , i know what i am doing. ;) Also , my sister is the department manager of fish at our local store. So , if I did have any questions she would be the one to ask. And I got one of those tattooed fish , and i like him. I was under the impression that it was done under water with no pain. As for the argument of weather that is true or not , the fish is here now and that is that . I will feed it and love it just like all the others. :cheeky:

Back