New boys - almost 3 month update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Well, we're a couple weeks short of having the new boys for three months - seems much longer than that!!! :emb: After the "rat fight" we stopped intros and they have remained separate colonies. Here is a progress report.

Grumpy/Snickers - They no longer "scream" or assume the "boxing" position when we go to pick them up. They will come up to us when the cage is open especially for treats and a couple weeks ago Grumpy even crawled out onto Al's shoulder which is quite a milestone for this boy. They will still shy away from allowing you to pick them up when they are in the cage, but no longer make it impossible. Snickers seems to be learning the "Curley" treat technique - take one hide it and come back for another and pretend you never got one, do this as many times as possible to build up a treat stash. They have come a long way and can usually be found hanging out together in a hammock. these boys seem to have no fear, no fear of falling out of the cage or jumping out for that matter!

Peanut - No longer the smallest, quite possible the biggest of the seven. This boy is a loner - very rarely does he hang out with his brothers and he can usually be found on a level or two away from them. Sometimes we have trouble finding him - good thing he answers to his name since he can play a really good game of hide and seek inside that cage.

Throttle - oh Throttle, where do I begin? His trip to the vet and puncture wounds from Kona taught him NOTHING! He is a trouble maker and has been put in time out on occasion (travel cage), but like a teenager upon release he pouts - this will consist of completely ignoring the person that put him in there. I have to admit he is a smart boy and I do find this funny - we can call his name, poke at him, play with his tail, but he will not acknowledge our existence. However, he cannot resist a yoggie!

Popper - he's a very inquisitive boy and for being a PEW he does not seem to have vision issues. There is no head swaying, like Finn and Bumbles. Unfortunately he is one of Throttle's targets, but can hold his own since that are about the same size. I always find him up and waiting for me in the morning. He's our wheel lover, if he's not running on it he's sleeping in it.

Oliver - sweet little Oliver, the tiniest of our babies. He seems to get along with everyone, but I worry about him since the others are getting so much bigger. He seems to buddy up with Axe, but can be found with any of his brothers.

Axe - our beautiful black boy, another one of Throttle's target, but can also hold his own do to size. He's a licky boy! If he's not wrestling with his brothers he's usually just lounging around or chewing on one of the many wooden toys this boys require.

You've got a great mixed group of personalities. You might notice your bully will change once in a while. One day he'll be a bully and the next not so much.
Rats are so much fun and each one unique. I like how you have already remarked their uniqueness.

I wouldnt worry about oliver, He may of taken after mommas. His sister is so tiny still and mommas are still very small. So they do have the small gene in them the rest of the boys just took after bigger daddy. I have boys that are the same size as a girl and girls who are the size of boys so they can be different sizes with no health issues :) I am glad to see they are coming along but pictures would of been awesome :)

Back