New Babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiercedAngel

Hi,
This afternoon I got two baby rats from a petstore who just got them in yesterday. So I'm assuming they are quite young. They look healthy, their eyes are clear and alert, the fur is nice and smooth, there isn't anything in their ears and there are no visible injuries. So I am assuming they are healthy. (I know I shouldn't assume anything)

Anyways, my question are:
1. Is it normal for them to be hiding out in their house and not coming out?
2. Should I take them out of their house or just let them be?
3. What should I be feeding them since they are young?

Thank You!

I would say it fairly normal for them to be hiding hun, they've had some stress in last wee bit of time. I'd let them be for the night. You can certainly stick your hand in and let them smell you, or stick them inside your shirt for a while.
As for food, i'd get some Living World Hamster Extrusion. It's good stuff, some what cheap, and if you've only got the 2 rats it's easy to find too! You can get it at most zellers stores.

Also sometimes petstores sell their rats too young, so, i'd try giving them some nice warm oatmeal, or baby foods. Make sure they've got water and are warm.

I'd LOVE to see pics!
:wink2:

It is a good idea to suppliment their diet daily with baby cereal (mixeed with soy infant formula, ensure or water).
A good quality lab block is 80% of their diet with the other 20 % being daily vegs and treats such as fruit, cereal, etc.

Thanks for all the good info. Is any kind of baby food okay? Also I have PC Organics Rice baby cereal and PC Organics Rice and Oatmeal baby cereal which one would be better? I don't have any soy baby formula but I have lactose free. I don't think my son would mind sharing his food with our new residents.

I would recommend that once they've settled in a day or so, I would then force socialize them. Grab them out of the cage and keep them on you. I like the "down the shirt" trick. You put on a tshirt and a sweatshirt over top and place the babies in between. Keep them there for a while. Do this several times a day and that will get them to bond to you.

that's what i've been missing! that safety layer! the boys love to crawl down my shirt which is fine because i like the snuggling, but then there is the climbing around and now my chest and tummy have teeny little scratches all over...

blytherue said:
that's what i've been missing! that safety layer! the boys love to crawl down my shirt which is fine because i like the snuggling, but then there is the climbing around and now my chest and tummy have teeny little scratches all over...
:lol2:
mine too! Hubby always says I look like i've been in a cat fight, and how come he wasn't invited!

Back