neutering a laid-back boy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sketchi

I'm considering neutering milky, since apparently I hear all these positive things about neuters (less marking, more cuddly, less smelly). but what if he's already laid-back? I don't want him to become comatose! :laugh4:

anyone ever deal with neutering a sweet rat? he doesn't even have buck grease. and his fur is super soft. would a neuter only make it softER, or could it possibly change him in a negative way?

I'm going to the vet tomorrow to get his opinion (and check up on milky's foot), but I wanted to hear you guys first. also, my vet has only done 2 rat neuters. O_O he's done guinea pigs and rabbits etc, but I guess rats are a bit rare around here.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

In my own opinion, if there isn't a particularly compelling reason (behavioral problems, needing to keep in a mix-gender household) I wouldn't do it. I lost my boy Nicodemus to anaesthesia complications (although to be fair my vet then was an idiot) so I'm still very gun-shy about the whole thing. I would advocate spaying females across the board, after everything I went through with mammary tumors....but that's actually THE reason I keep boys now, so I don't ever have to deal with that again or with the expense.

So....I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (pun intended, hehe)

If I was rich, I'd have all my rats neutered. I've never seen any negative effects to a neuter and I've done laid back boys too.

But... I have an extremely good vet, without her, I don't know if I'd get it done unless it was very necessary.

BUT! if it's a neuter or a life alone, I'd get the neuter no doubt about it.

I've got a laid back guy whom I haven't fixed yet, he's a big squishie. Though I have 2 males that I've considering about getting them snipped... they fight with Chester (the laid back one) and Gizmo (the baby).

Given the history I have with neuter abscesses, I wouldn't risk it unless you have a REALLY good vet like Jorats.

If you trust your vet, I'd say get him neutered!
And abscesses can be persistent and annoying, but it's still worth it (I'd say...)
I've had an extremely laid-back boy neutered before. He just got softer, a lot less nervous, and actually got slightly more active instead of becoming 'comatose'.

Seriously, I think neutering, no matter what the temperament of the rat, just brings down their stress level by a LOT. No more of those male hormones making thing defensive or jumpy.

I am actually getting my ladi back boy neutered tomorrow because he has a spot on his scrotum that might be a melanoma, so while the vet is down there he is going to snip him too!
Neutering has alot of positive factors :) but only do it if your vet is really good!
My vet has done broken legs, intestinal tumors, etc. I told my vet he can never ever retire haha, cause if he does I'll be going to his house :p
I got one of my other boys neuterd last week and he is doing great :)

If I could afford it, and trusted my vet with anaesthesia on rats, I'd have all five of my boys done just to calm their nerves and stop the constant leakage! I lost my old squish Axel when he went under, though I do understand that he had many other health problems contributing to that, so I guess I'd never say never!

I'm going to try a few more intros.... but I already have a neuter scheduled for monday. so we'll see... but I actually think he NEEDS a neuter, as he's constantly stressed out by the smallest things. waaaay too much 'on alert'. he puffs out even when strolling around his own cage, if he's in the next room over to the rats (or just any room that isn't MY room). I like my vet, I trust him with most things except ... I don't know if I can trust ANYone to do a neuter since I've never had to neuter a rat. there is always that possibility, but I think this is best for milky. >_<

How come you guys get all the good vets? I'm still looking for a decent rattie vet. One I've contacted "has a couple of rat clients" but charges $85 + and another does guinea pigs, chins, rabbits and hamsters but not rats! :rant: Can I borrow your vet Jo? I promise I'll give her back :wink2:

If you have a good vet I would do it. I personally do not like the smell of unneutered male rats.......and it causes me to break out when I hold them....Once they are neutered it is fine.

what is 'necessary'? he's lived his whole life with a female, he lacks the social grace to accept males. I'm sure he'd be fairly happy living a lone rat life, but just... if everyone says he'd be happiER with a friend, I believe that. it's not a life-threatening situation, living alone, but still...

sketchi said:
what is 'necessary'? he's lived his whole life with a female, he lacks the social grace to accept males. I'm sure he'd be fairly happy living a lone rat life, but just... if everyone says he'd be happiER with a friend, I believe that. it's not a life-threatening situation, living alone, but still...

you said he was laid back. If he doesn't have the "social grace" to accept males then he obviously isn't as laid back as you made out.

necessary surgery would be something health related, or something like aggression.

Unlike the majority of people on here, i don't agree with putting pets through surgery for the sake of it, which is what i got from your original post.

oh, I mean he's laid-back as in human-friendly (and like one of the laziest rats ever, when at ease)! but rat-intros have always ended in (often bloody) scuffles instigated by him. ): I see what you mean though, I wouldn't put a pet through unnecessary surgeries either! I actually LIKE their unneutered smells. :giggle: they each have a distinct smell which I actually find mostly pleasant! especially milky, he smells really sweet.

haha its hard to keep track of who's rats are who's on here. there so many people and so many rats! i actually forgot that Milky was the father to some of Chelle's rescue litters!
Patrick was laid back with humans (ok.. he doesnt favour men.. hehe) but would happily beat the crap out of Sid.

I think (i have no proof or anything to back this up haha) that the fact that he lived with a female for so long might contribute to his pain-in-the-butt-ness towards other males. Almost like he thinks he has a step up on the social ladder just because he has mated with a female before. I saw the same thing with the rats at college (they didnt successfully mate, but they were in the same cage for a week and the male was a nightmare when he was put back in with his brothers)

If you have a really good vet then I would recommend you do it, but only if this vet is experienced with rats.
He will be a happier rat and will accept oother males.

Back