Neutering- A few questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakkida

Okay so my sister and I are going to go to the exotics vet tomorrow after school to talk with him about getting Tristan neutered. We would like to know what exactly we should ask him about the procedure and what we can do to prepare. He and Oliver are getting worse with their fighting, neither seems to know who is in charge and there has been a lot of blood spilled. Twice Tristan has gone for Oliver's man parts, and both times he broke the skin. The second time there was a lot more bleeding and we had to make an emergency vet run.

We have them in separate cages at the moment, because the emergency vet told us we should neuter them before reintroduction, and we have been playing with them in their playpen. Tonight we noticed that they were becoming more aggressive and ignored treats, they began to flip all over the area after Oliver was mounting Tristan. Tristan fought back and was rubbing his butt on Oliver and going for his underside/man parts again. We're afraid they might be forgetting each other.

Another question we have is how to handle Tristan after he has been neutered. Do we need to keep them totally separate with no play time until he is healed? If so, approximately how long would that last? Will we have to reintroduce them? And will the vet give us pain medication for him? They didn't when my dog was fixed, and I'm just curious.

If you are going to continue in that post (good idea as the history is there) I think you should copy & paste what you wrote here and add it to that post then so people hear what you are saying here.
I sure hope that neutering make your boys comfy-buds!

(ps - after you move your writing from here to that one, maybe jorats could just delete this one to avoid confusion if you pm her and ask her?)

Back