Nettie (Sweetie): ? - September 18, 2006

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Nettie was purchased from Pets Unlimited last winter and fed to a snake. The snake did not eat her, so the snake owner's live-in girlfriend decided to keep Nettie as a pet. Nettie was joined by Byron and then Corrie ... both also rejected by the snake. These 3 ratties lived in a dirty cage, were terrorized daily and were witness to other little ratties being eaten alive by the snake who was kept in a nearby cage. Nettie, Byron, Corrie and Corrie's 12 surviving one week old babies were rescued on March 20, 2006.

March20safeinmyarms.jpg
March20sweetyounggirl.jpg

In my arms, safe at last March 20, 2006 ................ Sweet little Nettie March 20, 2006

In spite of everything she had been through, Nettie was a very sweet, friendly, curious, loving little girl. She was very loving and outgoing toward people and had a survivors ability to adapt well to new situations. She was a good friend to Corrie. Nettie helped Corrie look after her 12 babies. Nettie gave birth to 14 babies six days after being rescued and she was an excellent mother.

March28BestFriends.jpg
April82006youngmommywith13dayoldbab.jpg

Corrie & Nettie, Best Friends, March 28, 2006 ............... Nettie and her babies, April 8, 2006

Nettie and her babies were fostered by godmother. Because we were so overwhelmed with ratties, on April 8 I drove Nettie and her 14 babies to Nova Scotia. Her babies were 13 days old. Christina said she would look after them and do her best to find the babies good homes when they were old enough. It broke my heart to take her ... I cried for hours before I put Nettie and her babies into the car. Before I left Nettie in Christina's hands, I promised Nettie and myself that I would be back for her.

April32006youngmotherlookingafterhe.jpg
April13NettieSweetieandbabies.jpg

April 3, 2006 ..................... Nettie and her 14 babies .............. April 13 2006

After trying to get her back since May, Christina finally agreed to return her. I drove to Nova Scotia and got Nettie back on Sunday, Sept. 17. When I picked her up in Nova Scotia she was ill. She had been ill for days and Christina had started her on doxy and pred. just that morning as Nettie had stopped eating the previous day ... she had never been taken to a vet - although she had been ill several times while under Christina's care and been very ill this time for close to a week :(
Thanks to the pred. Nettie was eating well when I picked her up. Nettie was relaxed during the long drive. Once at my mother's house in NB, Nettie explored her new cage, ate, and seemed to enjoy her hammock.

March20curious.jpg
April82006curiouslittlegirl.jpg

................................................. Such a sweet little girl .............

I took Nettie to the vet the next day at noon. While she was being examined by the vet he heard crackling in her lungs and she started to turn blue. We put her in an oxygen tank and the vet and I gave her meds. I sat with her and talked to her. I put a cloth, water, and food in the oxygen tank with her. An employee at the vets sat with Nettie when I had to leave for a couple of hours. Shortly before 10 pm that night the vet took an xray of Nettie. One of the lobes in a lung had collapsed and her heart had moved position in her chest. Nettie was unable to breath outside of the oxygen tank. There was nothing that could be done for her so the vet and I put her to sleep. She became unconscious in my arms and died peacefully as I talked to her and petted her.

I am completely devastated. I never got to give her the life I wanted her to have with me and her friend Corrie. I am glad that she had lots of love and other rattie friends to live with while she was with Christina. I am glad that I was able to give her a good death .... I love that little girl ... I can't stop crying as I write this ... but I wanted to let everyone know what happened to our little rescue girl ...

......................................................................................

[youtube:qw6ea2m1]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHT-TF4KO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHT-TF4KO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:qw6ea2m1]

Nettie was a special girl in a horrible situation. She was so very lucky that you were the one that answered their call for help. You gave her so much more and the best gift of all, a good passing.

Ahhh sweet Nettie. What an amazing story she had. I am glad she was able to have her litter with loving humans and got to know that life is not all cruelty and neglect. She will be back Holly!!!

Back