Nervous Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

I really need some help here. Lily is rather a nervous rat. She's always been that way. When you try to pick her up by scooping or otherwise she will grab on to anything and everything possible to 'save' herself. She slinks down as well. She shy's away from hands. Whereas the others will let us pet them. I have even tried to get her out away from the others and spend some quality time but it makes her even more nervous. There has been nothing of note when we've had her. The only thing is that either she is just a very nervous rat that's agoraphobic or something happened at the pet store - but I happen to think she's just overly nervous because she hasn't improved at all. I want to be able to pick her up and have her enjoy it. I just don't know what to do with her. Can anyone help me here.

The only help I can offer right now it to tell you that you aren't alone... That is how Magnus and Mariusz act as well. They are not "hold me" rats in the least and are barely even "touch me" rats either. It's just something we aren't allowed to do unless we have to for cage cleanings or to take them out for play time or put them back in. It is HELL getting them back into the cage because we have such a hard time getting them when they are out for plays.

...is your girl okay when she's out of the cage or is this all of the time? We finally are getting Mariusz to come to us for treats while he's out and then we can Touch him but any move to pick him up is out... hopefully we will get to that... Just keep trying. Those 2 boys used to not even let us pet them unless we were holding them... now we can sometimes touch them in their cage so we are improving... Just be patient, maybe work with her while the others are out for a play so you can focus on just her?

We can take her out for playtime, she will run around, she climbs around us in the enclosure. But when we take her out alone on our shoulders she slinks around. She's not comfortable being on shoulders we feels she's afraid she's going to slip. She will take treats from you. But if you try and touch her she goes the other way.

hmmm... Yeah, it does sound like she might just be afraid that she's going to slip... Does she do better in a hood on a swaetshirt? It should be a lot like a hammie that way and might make her more secure. When she's good with that maybe work on shoulder training? It could be that she shys away from your hand because she is worried that she's going to the shoulder?

As for the touching her while she's taking treats... That still sounds a lot like my boys... Does it help if she's eating something like baby cerral where she has to keep coming back if she wants it even though your hand is there? That's how I started working on the boys and getting them to let me even touch them. I would put my hand nearby while they had banana mash and touch them or pet them while they were eating. They would take off but always came back again because the mash was soooo good!

Yes if there is baby food or she's sitting there eating a treat she doesn't run away. So she does trust obviously that I won't take it away. As for the hoodie, I can't get her to stay in that, she will just automatically go to my shoulder all the time.

She's the one that self barbers too right?
I think she's just a nervous rat. I've got three like that. My Sebastien is bad for that, he's very nervous but will come out during playtime and run around but not one on one, he struggles off of me like I as I was going to murder him. I think it's just their personality. It sucks cause I so try to cuddle with that beautiful black boy but he wants none of it.

Hi...we too have a nervous rattie in Oscar...He is quite shy and was very jumpy and nervous when we got him...I think previous owners were a little rough...We find it easy to pick him up when he is still sleepy and he will stay in our arms for a while ...he has even boggled whilst this has been happening so we know he is content...Maybe that may work just to give him some TLC...But when it comes to IN time ....he leaps and Eeeps about like he is posessed...lol

Good luck
Yvonne and Barry

It's just her personality. Not every rat is a goofy sqooshy lovebug. Just like humans, they've got their own likes and dislikes and their own behaviors.

jorats said:
She's the one that self barbers too right?

Yes she is Jo.
Well I will just let her be the nervous rat she is and maybe one day she will relax. She bruxes ALL the time though, crazy rat. Thank you everyone for your help.

Emma has always been funny about coming out of the cage, and has never liked being "taken" out. I used to think it was because she was nervous, but I am starting to think it is more because she wants to come out on HER terms. :roll: She's certainly not scared once she's out of the cage, and no matter how I pick her up, she resists. So I'm pretty sure she just puts up a fight to be difficult :wink:

All girls I own seem to be very much like they're saying, "You. Stay off me. We'll come to you!" ;) They always do and climb all over me but when I pick them up they squirm, some more than others, and never cuddle or nap on me (excluding the baby experience I had, lol). Definitely miss my squishy boys. :(

Back