Nervous Nellie!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

I would like a little advice please. I have what turns out to be 2 baby girl ratties that are approximately 4 months (we thought they were boys, lol) I've had them for at 6-7 weeks and play with them every day. Both came down with Mico, but are doing really well now, no sneezes. They are very active and playful. One (named Tiny and the younger one) is adjusting well and loves to eat treats while being held. I've always tried to hold them while they get their twice/day medication (drops of meds on a piece of pancake). Jangles, on the other hand is my problem child. She used to sit nervously and eat her pancake. Lately, she will not sit still while being held at all. She is constantly looking for a way to get away. Running up my arms (scratching me) and across my shoulders. It's like she hates being held. She won't take treats this way anymore. Yet, when I sit on the couch and let her down, she comes back a crawls on me, but doesn't want to be contained or held. She likes to hide under the cushions, but will come and run around with Tiny. I've tried the sweater thing, giving her a place to hide inside my clothing...still hates it. It's funny that she seems to be getting less friendly over time. Any suggestions for getting her more comfortable with being held? There are no other pets and no children in the house. She has only been handled by myself and my husband.

Hi,
It sounds like your girls are finding their personalities. Although, some rats do go through a fear phase at around 3 to 4 months old it's also the age when they are reaching hormonal maturity. Extra socializing can help and in time she may come around and not be so afraid of the wide open. Until then, I'd say add extra hiding places during out time, when grabbing her, scoop her up with two hands so she doesn't feel restricted or offer her a box to sit in while you transport her or even a nice soft fleece cube or sac. Lots of healthy treats and interactions will show her again that all is well in her little rattie world.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep trying. I usually open the door and both come looking for treats. I have to grab her and pick her up to take her out of the cage. I am careful not to hurt her, but maybe this is too abrupt for her. I would have to wait a long time for her to come out on her own otherwise. There have been a few times she scrambles away inside the cage and I have to reach in a gently pull her out. I'm wondering if this is causing her distress.

Spread some maple syrup on the palm of your hand, not much and scoop her up. She'll soon enough run for your hand for scooping out of the cage.

Back