Need to clean/sanitize new cage/toys before use?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatGypsy

Hi everyone!

I'm getting my very first ratties (a pair of young brothers, Frank and Sammy!) tomorrow from a wonderful local rescue. I need to know what I do and do not need to clean and sanitize before they can romp around.

From PetCo:
-Coconut hut thingy (like this http://tinyurl.com/hq6wb36)
-Driftwood perch (like this...also, is this wood safe? http://tinyurl.com/zcdv2ru)
-Willow branch balls
-Plastic travel pet carrier
-Plastic cat toys (like jingle balls, pom poms, and crinkly balls)
-Rope chew toys for dogs

From the Foster Family (all new and unused)
-Martin's Cage cage (the Lodge)
-Plastic Igloo
-Vinyl floor tiles
-Water bottle
-Food Dishes

I'm going to wash all the hammocks and pet carrier bed before they're used - I scored a bunch of fleece at Goodwill, and may as well wash the new stuff with it too!

So please tell me what else I need to clean, and how, if you have the time. And if something doesn't look right, please let me know!

Also, I wasn't planning on putting anything on top of the powder coated wire, and instead, give them lots of hammocks and places to "get off their feet". But since they're including cut-to-fit floor tiles, maybe I should?? Using liners is absolutely not something I want to do (too much smell or laundry), but if it's not as big a deal to manage as I think it is, I might consider it. Any opinions on using the tile and liners or not is appreciated.

This is like bringing home a new baby! I'm so exciterrified!

~Gypsy~

Any litter, wood products should be frozen for 48-72 hours to kill any critters on them so your ratties don't get lices/mites. Hammocks, etc should be washed in dye/fragrance free detergent, no fabric softener, double rinse, and you can add some plain vinegar (no need for initial wash). Plastic stuff can be washed in warm water - I use ivory dish soap or you can use dye/fragrance free baby wipes. If you are going to use litter in your litter boxes make sure its paper and not cat litter that clumps in case they eat it. I don't use cat toys with jingle bells in them - I'm afraid they will get them and choke on them, but that is my personal option. I wash my dishes and water bottles with water/dawn dish soap - very rarely put them in dishwasher and if I do I rewash them to make sure none of the detergent is left on them. You need to cover the wire on the cage floor or they will get bumble feet. You can cover with the tile but that will make a mess with their urine I think since nothing will soak it up. You can cut the fleece to size, double it up and binder clip around the edges. Hope that helps

When I had martins cages, I used dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on to cover the wire balconies.
Make sure that your cage is powder coated, otherwise it will rust.
Most people do not put the cage together with the enclosed c-rings as they will rust, use (hundreds of) cable ties instead

The lodge has a good base size for rats.
If you ever upgrade to the R695, use a piece of thick linoleum cut to fit for the floor over the wire

You need at least two or three sources of water in the cage in case something happens to one.
Suggest at least one water dish that can not be upset (wash and replace each morning & evening).
A water dish is good for all rats but absolutely essential for babies whose tongues may not be strong enough to move the ball bearing in water bottles (although they will look like they are drinking)

items you might consider:
a solid 12 inch diameter wheel such as a silent spinner
cardboard type chew tube (can be attached to side of cage
3 corner litter boxes - 1 for the bottom and 1 to be attached on each shelf - good to sit in, hide food in and use as a toilet

3 inch diameter 16 inch long pvc drainage tubes are good to hang on the side of the cage
they can also be connected to one another with T and elbow connectors to create tubes to run in and climb on in play areas

You might check out the ideas in the habitat section

hope you post lots of pics
good luck

Last edited:
Back