Need some advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

On Thursday, I tried scooping up Albert to give him a kiss and he squeaked, leaped out of my hands and hid in the couch cushions.

I coaxed him out and ran my fingers over his back and sides. There are no bumps, no puffy spots, no scratches or scrapes.

I've been watching him for a few days now and he is still active. He romps and plays with Buddy.... eats up a storm, pilfers goodies, and has no signs of lethargy or pain.

On Saturday, Buddy stepped on his side, down by where his right leg connects, and he let out a squeak. The spot is comparable to a human's pelvic area down near where the leg connects.

Something is hurting him but it only seems to hurt when it is actively pushed on. When I run my fingers over the area, I feel nothing and it doesn't hurt him. I've tried pressing gently on the area, but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Could he have pulled a ligament or something?

Like I said, he is not in any pain, otherwise, and is still his sweet tempered little p1$$ and vinegar self. :laugh4:

Thanks!

Jen

See if you can pick him up and try to gently rotate the leg and see how he reacts...watch out for a possible bite though if it hurts. Does he walk on it normally for the most part?

Could he have simply protested because he didn't want to picked up? Same with Buddy, squeak, because he didn't want to be stepped on? I've got a couple of guys that do that, squeak if you even think about touching them.
But if you gut is saying something off, definitely try and get to the bottom of it.

lilspaz68 said:
See if you can pick him up and try to gently rotate the leg and see how he reacts...watch out for a possible bite though if it hurts. Does he walk on it normally for the most part?

Thanks Shelagh,

I will try that.... and be prepared for a nip...:giggle:

He does walk on it normally. He climbs the cage walls and bounds off with his teklad blocks. :cheeky:

jorats said:
Could he have simply protested because he didn't want to picked up? Same with Buddy, squeak, because he didn't want to be stepped on? I've got a couple of guys that do that, squeak if you even think about touching them.
But if you gut is saying something off, definitely try and get to the bottom of it.

What's strange, Jo, is that he has never squeaked about anything. Is it typical for them to suddenly take up with a habit they have never had before?

lilspaz68 said:

Did the leg rotation on both hind legs last night with no problems.

He did look at me as if I were a nut case, but that's ok.... he looks at Buddy that way too. :laugh4:

jorats said:
I would think not. Does he seem "off" to you?

He doesn't seem really "off" to me, Jo, but his behavior is not quite as it used to be.

He will stop in front of me, when I park myself on the floor, and look at me. It's almost like he is trying to figure out if I'm a good guy or a bad guy.

By the same token, he will then follow me all over the house, climb up the couch cushions, stretch himself out to me for kisses and scritches and then come bounding towards me when I come back in from the bedroom.

It's like he is running hot and cold. One minute he knows you and the next minute he is behaving as if you are a stranger.

He has started up with "arguing" and making life difficult for Buddy. He will follow Buddy around the living room and bother him. I can't remember the last time I ever saw those two in their "standing on their hind legs battle stance" but I've seen it twice this week.

Buddy wins these "arguments" paws down because he is my little N3 (non-neutered nose).

Albert will be two in October. Maybe he is just getting crotchety. He doesn't fight with Buddy.... but he is being a pain in the fuzzbutt and wonders why Buddy will stow himself away under the towels on top of the cage and refuse to play with him.

A peculiar little fuzz ball.... :wink2:

lilspaz68 said:
Could've been a sprain then...you know when you turn your ankle and limp for a short while then its gone :)

They had this driftwood climber in the cage and I'm wondering if he may have bruised himself on it. They love that thing and are always on it in one way or another.

I took it out of the cage and put it in the play area. I know... I'm the ever popular mom....LOL!!!! :laugh4:

jorats said:
I bet he's just being a grumpy old manrat.

He has stopped the squeaking! :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

He is also back to his old habit of sticking his nose into Buddy's gonads. :roll: (ooooh.... I used to have those too!!!)

He hasn't looked at me in that "who the &##@#^ are you" way for two days now so I am guessing that he was just cautious because he was sore/bruised.

Had their first taste of hard boiled egg yolk last night... needless to say.... mom was popular. :heart:

Back