need help with my new ratties!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattieLover1994

just got my first pair of rats that are littler mates and same sex! :mrgreen: any tips or how to trust train rats would be fab! (there very skittish) and have clearly never been handled since born :( :stickpoke:

Welcome! We have tons of threads on trust training.
I like to use the "down the shirt" trick. You can use our search feature and find a lot more.

Welcome to the Rat Shack!

how are your ratties doing? are they boys or girls?
got any photos ? :cheeky: we love the ratty photos here :heart:

here's some links to trust training info:

http://ratguide.com/care/behavior/training_playtime.php
http://www.ratfanclub.org/trust.html

spend some time letting your rats get used to their new surroundings, the sights, sounds and mostly the smells- rats are very scent oriented!

you could even try putting something that you've worn, like an old t shirt you dont' care about (because they WILL chew it :lol: ) in with them. sit next to the cage, talk to them often, and when you take them out, do as was already suggested, put them inside your shirt
Again you want to use a shirt you don't mind being chewed in case they want to take a little nibble :giggle:
if their nails are sharp or you are uncomfortable having them directly against your skin at first, put a bigger shirt on over a tighter one, and put them in between the two

I've found feeding the rats off your fingers, things like baby food veggies, or baby cereal or cooked oatmeal, etc, get them to associate you and your hands/scent with good things.

it doesn't usually take too long for them to come around. Rats are smart and learn quickly. Let us know how it's going, ok?

Thank you so much for the help! My two little girls! Are called hedie and boo! Think the names suited them! :D there fine in the cage and don't dart around as much now I can also feed them although boo snatches they where a little young when getting them at only 5 weeks! But there doing fine now and hopefully will be able to handle them with out them peeing on me!

Back