Need advice with new rat.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaTrexica

Hi again :) a lot has happened since I last posted. We updated to a ferret nation a little while ago, and GGMR kicked in big time. My boyfriend an do debated a long time about the pros and cons of adding to our little family, and decided we had the time and budget for a couple more babies. I went searching on Craigslist and came across an add for two males, and emailed the poster. Turns out, one of them had had an inner ear infection recently and the owner had moved him to a seperate cage while she was treating him. After treatment, she tried reintroducing them and they fought. So after talking I decided to adopt the little tilty boy that had been beaten up.

He is the sweetest, most cuddly boy I've ever met. He just automatically gives you kisses when you let him, which I adore. We fell in love right away. We felt really bad for him being alone, so wanted to intro him to our other boys as soon as we could. So we put them in the tub, and our boys did nothing but politely sniff the new guy for a few seconds and then ignored him completely and tried getting out of be tub. We, regretfully, decided this went so well, why not try the play area wih all of them? Bruce and Haro nearly immediately hopped on him and held him down. Which we thought was normal. So after doing this a few times, we take Dizzy out and put him alone back in his cage. We guide that's enough, we think its gone well, and we tried again today. They continued dominating him and Dizzy tried getting away and Haro bit him. He's got a good sized cut on his belly. :(

My question is, should we try again, this time in a bigger neutral area like the kitchen, so the boys won't be so distracted by climbing out of our very small tub? Or does this poor special needs rat, that cannot defend himself and has gotten beaten up so bad by three seperate rats need to live by himself in peace? Also, should I do anything for his cut? Thank you for reading. :) these guys are stressful.

Keep an eye on the cut and make sure it's clean. It should heal up quickly.

It sounds like they all need more time together in a neutral area. If the tub is too distracting, somewhere else might be better.

Hi, can you move the intros to a table top instead of the tup. The smaller the area the better it is actually. You want them closer together and hopefully they will bond.
Keep it in a neutral area for at least a week and make your intros last an hour.

Back