Natural Zeolite for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OntarioRatMom

I got this stuff, Littermaid Natural Zeolite Deodorizer in an attempt to prolong the time in between cleanings of my boys cage. I have 3 now in one cage (newly adopted friends for my old Angus who was alone when I adopted him at the SPCA). Trying to find out if it is safe. Any thoughts?? It says safe for people and pets...

It's a volcanic mineral and I do believe that some people have used something similar and liked it. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure. If it's safe for babies and birds, then I'd say it's safe for rats. Now, unless there's a big odour or scent then I wouldn't use it.

It's supposed to be completely odorless - just a natural mineral that acts kind of like a carbon filter that removes scent from the air.

They use it in detergents, oxygen concentrators for medical uses, aquarium filters, and in cat litter. Apparently it also has antioxidant properties when ingested - that said, I have no idea what the LD-50 is, or if there's any toxicity at all.

you sprinkle it in the cage with the litter...apparently it is safe for all living things so I will try it and post a reply in a week or so to see...

Back