Naming Stories

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papercrow

I always think it's funny how people name their pets, and I would love to hear all of your rattie names and the stories behind how they got them! Here goes:

Piggy--My four year old and I were talking about good names for a black and white rat. I said what about cow? That's a great name. He said noway his name is Piggy. I laughed and it stuck

Wubbzy and Walden--Characters on an awesome kids show called Wow Wow Wubbzy

Sumi--Short for Sumatran Rat Monkey which was a made up zombie animal (which looks amazingly like a hairless rat) in Peter Jackson's Dead Alive--One of my favorite movies.

Bork--or according to my four year old his name is Baby Bork Seal Snork!!! It's based on the Swedish chef from the muppet show--borkborkbork!

Aslan and Miraz - My two boys were names after characters from The Chronicles of Narnia collection of books.

Starla, Ivy - No real story behind her name, I just liked them

Elise - This little girl was a fast one when she was teeny tiny. I asked my bf to think of a name of a fast car... and that is it!

Pax - Latin for peace

Solis - Latin for sun

Aw, my friend's Lab is named Pax as well. :D

Umm...unfortunately I'm a little boring with my names. I just liked Brie and was reading Wicked at the time, explaining Elphie.

I think I named Cody after some cute little girl in a supernatural movie and...no real stories for the rest of the crew, lol. Whatever was cute that came to mind. ;D

When I brought home Maggie and Emma, my parents in law were not happy. I came home from work and my mum in law was holding Maggie and stroking her evilly... and said "This one's name is Maggie". I was not going to argue!

I wanted a name that kind of "went" with Maggie... and Emma seemed good enough. LOL

Maeby and Lucille 2 are named from characters in Arrested Development, a favourite show of mine and Mike's. He originally wanted to name them Spaghetti and The Destroyer.. I wanted to name them Luna and .. something else I don't remember now. Maeby and Lucille 2 were the only names we could agree on. She is Lucille 2 and not just Lucille officially because in the show Lucille is pretty evil, and Lucille 2 is just crazy LOL.

Hmmm well at the time when we got Ruby it was the first name that came to mind for her because of her eyes (I didn't realize at the time about actual ruby eyes oh well) so then we tried to find a name for the other one and so I went through a names list online and found Hazel and just thought it worked really well.

Lily I knew I just wanted a rat named Lily, I knew before I even got her what her name would be.

I only have 2 boy rats, Coal and Chimo. I made a poll on another forum because I couldn't think of a name for him, he's a black berk so I ran the poll and Coal won. Chimo is my PEW and I named him that because my bf is from a town where the mascot is a polar bear named Chimo, Chimo means welcome/hello, are you friendly? in native language :heart: Chimo is my avatar

When I was in middle school, a friend of mine had rats. Her Mother raised snakes so the rats were mostly food, but they did keep some of the really 'pretty' ones as pets sometimes. At first I didn't know why anyone would want a rat for a pet but after spending some time over there, I fell in LOVE! Especially with a little orange female pup who my friend Tawnee had already named Paris. It got to be I was visiting her every day after school. Tawnee's Mom had pretty much told me she was mine, but my Dad was a problem. It only took three months of begging my Dad before I got to take her home, though.(I was persistent) Under the strict promise he would NEVER see her. (He's still not fond of my rats) She was so sweet and so lovey, always easygoing, calm... I took her everywhere tucked in my hoodie. She eventually developed malignant tumors and had to be put down though, and I missed her so much when she died I kind of made an unofficial decision to name all rats after her in some way. So since her name was Paris, all the rats that have come after her have been named for capital cities around the world. In honor of Paris. The first rat.

After Paris there has been (in order) females D.C., Sidney, London, and males Cairo and Seoul. And currently I have males Bern and Moscow, and little female Oslo.

-Tara

Snowy: (PEW) When I brought her home, I said that I was tired of naming things human names, so I said I wanted to name her Snowball, or Snowflake or something like that, and the hubb said Snowy after the dog on TinTin, lol.

Missy: Could not think of a name for her, but kept calling her Missy, "Come here Missy, Don't do that Missy" and hubby said she was already named then. She also has a M on her chest.

AbbyGurl: I was thinking of naming Missy way back when Abby, after Abby Lockheart off ER, who is one of my fav characters, so I used the name on Abby instead.

Logan: I kept calling him Bubby, just like I did with Missy, but then thought, "Who says Bub alot?" but one of my fav marval characters, Wolverine, so I named him Logan after him.

Sampson: Hubby always wanted a Mastive, and planned on naming him Sampson, and we have had a mouse named Sampson, and since he is mostly black, and it makes me think of a big or dark animal, I named him Sampson for the hubby.

It's lovely to read some of the stories behind the names. I wont list all of mine or else you'll be reading for a while. lol
But the most memorable ones:

Nessie, after a person in the rat community that does so much for rats. It was she that turned me from a clueless rat lover to the person I am today.

Treat, because he was a bareback a rex and that's a treat for me.

Boo, he was a pew... until his smudge sneaked up on us.

Mielle, she is fawn and in French, miel is honey.

Loki... that name just popped into my head. When I first got her, she was very shy and would stay hidden. As she grew to accept her new home and me, she totally lived up to her name, the queen of mischief, always going where she can't go, always getting into trouble.

Fred because he's from Fredericton.

Flea because of her sweet good natured demeanor. She is exactly like my mom's rat Puce so I named her after her. Flea is English for Puce.

Most recently my Radar. Radar was in the classifieds. The ad said a female rat. The people who had him/her didn't know until my mom made the discovery on the ride home. So I've always said that he was flying under the Radar. lol

Back