Nala was bit by Kira...should I dose with Baytril?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

Yesterday when I opened the older girls cage to change some of the bedding, Kira escaped without me noticing. I didn't even think to make sure they were all in the cage cuz I just figured they were so I didn't really think twice about it.

So after that I let the babies out for a little playtime. After about 5 mins I heard a horrible scream and Nala came running out from under the bed with Kira chasing her. I grabbed Kira and put her back in the cage and picked up Nala to see if she was hurt. She had a really painful looking puncture wound on her lower lip and it was really swollen, and although there wasn't much blood it still looked terrible.

I've had my ratties get into fights before but just recently I had to put one of my boys down due to a deep facial absess that was originally from a bit wound so I'm really paranoid about that happening again.

Nala's lip still looks bad today and it's really swollen. Shes eating but I can tell it hurts her alot. Should I give her some baytril to help with any possible infection from the bite?

If she were my rat, I would definitely start Baytril and continue it for at least 2 weeks, the main reason being because it's on the face. If it were a bite on the butt or torso, legs, arms then I'd say just wait it out and see but the face seem more sensitive and more prone to infections.

Poor little Nala!!! What a nasty thing for Kira to have done to her! :(

Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory/pain killer. Jerry was on both Baytril and Meloxicam when he punctured his lip with his incisor.

Please give the little thing scritches for me. :love6:

Awwe I will. :heart:

I've never heard of meloxicam before actually...

The swelling had gone down alot today and I'm just going to keep her on the baytril for the next 2 weeks like Jo suggested. I think the whole experience was a lot more more traumatizing for Nala than it was painful....she was eating an hour after so I'm sure she will be fine....except for being absolutly terrified of Kira now. :roll:

bruxxy said:
Awwe I will. :heart:

I've never heard of meloxicam before actually...

The swelling had gone down alot today and I'm just going to keep her on the baytril for the next 2 weeks like Jo suggested. I think the whole experience was a lot more more traumatizing for Nala than it was painful....she was eating an hour after so I'm sure she will be fine....except for being absolutly terrified of Kira now. :roll:

Meloxicam is metacam bruxxy. :)

Glad to hear she's doing better.

Back