Nail clipping?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CardboardCastles

There's literally -no one- close by that gives care for rats. My girls are tearing up my skin, especially on my neck, when they're just cuddling and being love bugs.

Could someone give me a rundown of how you clip nails? Supplies? (I have stiptic powder from the dogs) I don't think I'm currently brave enough, but I'm really tired of bleeding after love sessions.
:(

I just use human nail clippers.
ashamed0003.gif
I get help from my mom usually. She holds and I clip the tips of the nails.

I have a pair of kitten/puppy nail clippers that i use with my ratties, but i cant see why human nail clippers wouldnt work just as well (just like Happi said)

You can also see the quick on their nails (the nail's blood supply...but im assuming you know what that is seeing as you have styptic poweder :wink:) I just trim off the pointy pointy tip and everything seems to work out for the best :)

Ok here are the directions...go to the store and buy a turtleneck sweather. Done. :giggle:
Just teasing... it sure would be the easiest thing though. I use human nail clippers and I only do it if absolutely necessary and I always do it with someone holding the rat. Make sure to only clip the very tip. When rats bleed from the quick, it will seem like they are bleeding forever... lots of scary blood. :panic:

Well I know toes bleed profusely.

And from human experience, so do mouths, noses, and heads.

Oh god, teach daycare for 6-7 years, the injuries you see...Ever seen a lego person firmly wedged in the nostril of a 4-year-old? Let me tell you...not a fun time.

We have dogs with dark nails, hence the powder, but I'm extremely nervous to clip their nails.
I will have a pumice stone or something when I move the girls into their big cage.

CardboardCastles said:
..Ever seen a lego person firmly wedged in the nostril of a 4-year-old? Let me tell you...not a fun time.
omg.. hahahaha.. :laugh4: totally got an image of that.. bwahaha.. its soooo one of those laugh about it later things...lol

so ya.. nail clipping.. my advice ... two people wearing long sleeved shirts.... one to hold and one to clip... oh and treats for afterward. lol

Back