My Rescue Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Daddy

Ok so I rescued a blue rat and the owners only fed it junk nutriphase seeds not even blocks. It will not eat any blocks or anything else even if you starve it. She is being so stubborn so what should I do, feed it junk or let it die? Suggestions? I fed it mazuri,kaytee, 8in1 even which isnt good either and almost everything they had at the pet store.

Try Harlan Tech 2014, 2016, or 2018 .
May rescues in the states sell it and you can order it
Or Oxbow Regal Rat
or Living World/Hagen Hamster extrusian block.

One of the above should be 80% of the diet with the other 20% being daily veg and a bit of fruit.

SQ said:
May rescues in ther states sell it and you can order it
Or Oxbow Regal Rat

One of the above should be 80% of the diet with the other 20% being daily veg and a bit of fruit.

Yes but he said she wont eat blocks. What kind of blocks wont she eat? Try tons of veggies as well and some baby food too.

I've never heard of a rat starve themselves to death either. If she's not eating, it might very well be because she's still scared from the move. If you can't find the better quality blocks, stick with Mazuri but give her lots of veggies too.
She will eventually eat... in the meantime, give her a bit of what you eat for dinner, potatoes, a tiny bit of meat, veggies... make sure it's balanced and only a very small amount or else she won't ever go back to blocks.

Ratlover101 said:
SQ said:
May rescues in ther states sell it and you can order it
Or Oxbow Regal Rat

Yes but he said she wont eat blocks. What kind of blocks wont she eat? Try tons of veggies as well and some baby food too.

True, but he tried others then the ones I mentioned.

Also, you can disolve the Hamster extrusian or Harlan blocks in boiling water, cool to make mush, add a few drops of olive oil and a bit of baby cereal mixed up in water.

And you can try her on baby cereal mixed up with ensure, or water (fluoride and chlorine are very bad for rats).

I was going to say what Sq mentioned, that perhaps mushing up the blocks would help.

Will she eat other treats? I have to wonder if she has trouble eating larger pieces. Maybe just breaking up the blocks smaller would help.

I have a LOT of trouble reading this post. Using the Getaway Green style, it's almost impossible without highlighting the text.

Yes, she might me sick so I suggest taking her to the vet and get her checked out. You never know what could be wrong. So making a trip to the vet is what I would do.

Ok so i have harlan comeing in the mail, she just wont eat, took her to the vet an hour ago and the vet said that he has never seen anything like it and he said she looks perfectly healthy. He said that she is just a picky eater so he told me just to feed her the nutriphase food mix, I have tried every food I can find at pet stores and I have harlan comeing in the mail and if that doesnt work I have to give up on giving her healthy foods, she will just have to eat junk. I hate the dumb owners that only gave her junk and didnt care about her health :rant:

Well, you shouldnt have much faith in your vet if she just said to let her eat Nutriphase. Like some people said, mush up the harlan blocks and add some yummy stuff to it to make it taste better. Give her baby cereal and veg and stuff like that.

Yes, try her on mashed up blocks with a little something extra added (a touch of ensure or baby food maybe)

What you could do is when the harlan comes in, offer it mixed with the seed mix, she will start to get used to it and gradually stop the seed mix.

jorats said:
What you could do is when the harlan comes in, offer it mixed with the seed mix, she will start to get used to it and gradually stop the seed mix.

Its a good way of introducing new foods. Had to do the same with my parakeet when we first got him cus all he would eat was sunflower seeds which are super bad

Mights I add that I just found out that its not only KAYTEE that contains ethoxyquin, Nutriphase does too. I was looking at the ingredients of their bunny food and saw it and then I looked in their rat fod and its in there too. I didnt know that so I just wanted to throw it in there.

Back