My Ratty Diet!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before Living World made the Extrusion, they made the Nutriblock for rodents. It's the exact same formula. It's got all the nutrients for rats, low enough protein and fat too. I would feed the Extrusion before the Martin's... or what you could also do is feed a mix of Extrusion, Martins and Oxbow.... gives them a choice. And don't refill the bowl until everything is eaten.
Some of my rats prefer their Oxbow wet.

jorats said:
Before Living World made the Extrusion, they made the Nutriblock for rodents. It's the exact same formula. It's got all the nutrients for rats, low enough protein and fat too. I would feed the Extrusion before the Martin's... or what you could also do is feed a mix of Extrusion, Martins and Oxbow.... gives them a choice. And don't refill the bowl until everything is eaten.
Some of my rats prefer their Oxbow wet.

So jut have a mixture of all of it would be good for them?
How much of each should I mix together?
so a little bit of Martins woulden't be bad for them? when mixed with a low protien food?

That's right and especially if they get fresh veggies, that also brings down their daily protein.
But make sure they eat everything in the bowl before adding more.

So I gave them half a grap this morining, so that's all the fruit they should have today?

Yesterday for veggies I gave them spring mix and carrots (about a half cup for each group)
So they can have veggies again today? maybe something different like peas and cucumber?

Thanks for your help BTW. I have learned so much about rat diets in the past few days :)

Ya, everyday you give them half a cup of veggies and you can make it different, gives them variety.

Use the fruit as a treat, maybe while playing out or their treat to go back into the cage after out time.

Have you seen my Veggie Time video? My rats are crazy for veggies. lol

[youtube:1dsppike]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_HfouhT3oqw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_HfouhT3oqw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:1dsppike]

OMG your rats are the cutest, so healthy looking too ..and oh boy do they ever love their veggies! :)

I feel bad that I never new this much about ratty foods before, I guess it's never to late to start tho, they are only 8 months old!
We live and Learn.

You were doing much better with the Martins than you would have been with a seed mix, so don't feel bad! It's not a "bad" food, per se.... would just be better with a lower protein level. They are currently doing rabbit formulas, one for older rabbits and one for younger ones, and I asked if that would be an option for the rat food.

Thanks! I guess your right I could have been doing the whole seed thing.

Jo: I picked up some Extrusion and Oxbow last night, they went crazy for both. I also tried them with broccoli and caulflower, they ate most but not all of it. I used fresh, you think they may like frozen better?

Moon said:
They are currently doing rabbit formulas, one for older rabbits and one for younger ones, and I asked if that would be an option for the rat food.

What did they say when you asked them if that was an option for rat food?

He said it was something to think about and bring up to the higher ups, but could be an option since they're doing it for other animals already.

Moon said:
He said it was something to think about and bring up to the higher ups, but could be an option since they're doing it for other animals already.

Awesome!

So yesterday I fed everyone pea & shredded carrot, oh boy what a mess

The girls

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

I never had time to get to the boys with the camera haha, they ate it that fast

Latest posts

Back