My Ratty Diet!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been doing alot of thinking latley and I am thinking about switching my rats to a no sugar (only sugar from fruits)/no salt diet. So far this is what I have come up with to feed them.

Main food : Martins/Oxbow & Extrusion

Veggies: Spring mix, Shredded Carrot, Cucumber, Pea's, Corn, Broccoli, Caulflower, Tomato

Fruit: Bananna, Rad Seedless Grapes, Cantalope, Honeydew, Watermelon

Other: Puffed Rice, Puffed Wheat, Rolled Oats, Plain no sugar added yogurt, Natural Dog Treat (Low Protien, Low Fat)

Any other things I can feed them?

Thanks for the help :)

i was just wondering :) i couldn't think of anything that would contain added salt or sugar. i give my kids crackers and biscuits some times - which would be added salt and sugar lol. i used to give them yogurt drops but they are so bad, and corn/peas work just as well for rewards ^^

you can always make your own biscuits, they are plain and taste rancid but my rats like them :)

So far the ratties are doing good on the new diet. For supper they ate:

The boys (between 5 of them)
- 1 handfull of Spring Mix
- 3 shredded baby carrots

The girls (between 4)
- 1/2 handfull of Spring Mix
- 2 Shredded baby carrots

They actually ate spring mix! lasst time I tried giving that they wouldent look at it.

& of course they have their ratty food too.

Maybe for a bedtime snack I'll give them plain natural no sugar added yogurt, but just a tiny bit.

Not sure where else you can buy it other than Newfoundland, it's called Martin Little Friends Mouse Rat ration. You also can get rabbit food and guniea pig food. I had them on lab blocks, but they never did well with it.

http://www.petacular.com/martin_mouse_r ... -prd1.html

Since they have been eating this stuff, their coat is 10x better and they have alot more energy, they love it too.

Martin food for rats is pretty high in protein. I've spoken to the company about this many times to no avail.

Apparently my little winkie face went missing in my last post. Whoops! Was supposed to read "I wasn't disputing that ;) " ... no offence taken, none intended!

I was excited to hear that Martin's was creating a rat food but then bummed when I saw the amount of protein in it.
I too tried talking to the representative but nope. They won't change.

^ I too wish it was not so high in protein ..but I do still use it because blocks wern't working for my kids at all, so it's either I use seed, or martins ..so I picked Martins, they do well with it, not over weight and they have healthy shiny coats and have excellent health :)

I heard an excess of protein will cause damage to kidneys? I don't remember where I heard this or anything, does anyone know?

I think I've seen the Martin's food, but I've never checked the nutritional content.

Ratty Momma, have you tried Living World Hamster Extrusion? I know a lot of "problem eaters" do like the Extrusion. Just another option! :D

There was a study made called the China Study and it proved that for rats the ideal protein is actually lower than 10% if it's from a good protein source.

According to U of Guelph, part of a rat's aging process is kidney disease. So a low protein diet can slow the progression of the damage.

Jo: do you think I am better off using Etrusion or Martins? I neve used Etrusion befor cause I thought Hamster food never had enought nutrition, but what do you think?

Hmmm I've heard that Living World Hamster Extrusion is one of the better options for rats. I've never looked into it, as my rats are happy with their lab blocks.

There's a thread here (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12402) where Jo (and others!) discuss the different options for lab blocks.

Jo, that's interesting. I often wonder why some rat foods have SUCH high protein content.

Latest posts

Back