My rats pregnant.... Help please give advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgo2882

If you have read my previous post, you know what has happened.
There was an accident, and my little snoopy is pregnant. She is only 2-3 months old :cry:
She has 3 sisters with her...
I discovered her in the males cage this morning, and realized that they indeed do the "deed" so unless i am extremely lucky I have to start planning on this pregnancy and have no clue what to expect
I would love any help I can get as to what to expect...
What I should feed her, where to put her, when the babies come can her sisters be around? Should I take them to the vet at a certain age? Any birth complications that can arise? etc, any info I can get about how to prepare, and after the birth...
Thank you!!
:?

For now, nothing much needs to be done.
Snoopy will be pregnant only if she was in heat at the right time of being with the male. So I would advise that you keep an eye on her... if you see she goes back into heat, then she isn't pregnant. :D

Oh my!!! I didnt know that it mattered if she was or not.
What are the majority of signs of being in heat? Oh i hope she is not!! My poor little girl. How often do they go in heat?, like if she were to go into heat again when should I expect it?
THANKS SO MUCH
You gave me a little hope...

Rats go into heat every 3 or 4 days, usually in the evening and overnight.
Some rats do not show any signs of being in heat ...
Other rats will wiggle their ears and when you touch them on their lower back will freeze and quiver.

Hope you fixed the problem so she can't get out again.

Usually, if you touch their back they will hunch down, vibrate their ears and bounch forward doing this over and over again if you continue to touch her back. I have two girls who like hump whoever is in heat so it is really commical. I believe they come in heat every five days or so for just one night.

SQ is right I have never seen a couple of my girls so any signs of going in heat.

Your best bet is to get a kitchen scale and weigh (one that weighs in grams and ounces and can weigh up to 5 lbs) her everyday and if there is a steady climb you know she is prego. Weigh her sisters as well for comparison.

Weighing the other girls for comparison, as suggested by Melissa's ZOO, is important as Snoopy will normally be growing fast and gaining weight at her age.

Thanks Guys
I will try and get my hands on a scale and see what happens.
So I should start seeing the weight difference soon then if she is pregnant?

The last week is when Bronwen gained her weight.

She was 3-4 months old when I got he so a normal growing girl.

Here's her weight gain chart so you can see the preggy weight rather than the natural growth spurt weight.

Remember to weigh at the same time every day :)

Bronwen’s Weight Gain (4 months old)
Aug. 11 – 267 g
Aug. 14 – 279 g
Aug. 15 – 289 g
Aug. 16 – 302 g
Aug. 17 – 319 g
Aug. 18 – 329 g
Aug. 19 – 346 g
Aug. 20 – 354 g
Aug. 21 – 364 g (birth)
Sept. 14 – 278 g

Back