My rats are terrified when I take them out of their cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicadelage

I need some tips on socializing my rats and getting them to be okay out of their cage.

I have 5 female rats.
They are about 9.5 weeks old, I got them when they were about 6 weeks old.

They all climb over my hands and lick my fingers when I stick my hands/arms in the cage.
When they are in the cage they take food from my hands and some will sometimes allow me to pet them.
Three of them sometimes climb up my arm to my shoulder but if I even move a little they run back into the cage, the other two won't climb past my hands.
I stick my hands/arms into their cage at least twice a day, minimum 10 minutes each time.

When I take them out of the cage (all together or separate) they are terrified.
I haven't been keeping them out for very long because I don't want them getting too stressed.
Also I mostly take them out one-on-one because I was told that I need to get them used to being with me.

When I take them out all together they will sometimes nibble/lick some food but won't really eat any and mostly huddle in a pile together, the occasional rat will run around the play area and then go back to the pile. They also poop everywhere.
I do this every few days and I usually take them out for about 30 minutes.

When I take them out separate (sit or walk around with them) they hide in my hair or shirt and shake.
They will run if I try to pet them, won't take food and squirm like crazy if I pick them up.
Sometime they will just freeze and let me pet them but it seems more like to scared to move then actually okay me touch them.
Two of them will start to walk around me after a while but still don't want to be touched or take food from me. One of them will sometimes lick my face or hand when out but is shaking the whole time.
I do this once a day and I usually keep each one with me about 15-20 minutes.

Try keeping them out longer. Mine were and are like that. Some have gotten over it, but a lot haven't. Mine still seem scared, won't eat, don't do anything for sometimes close to an hour after being out. So try and keep them out longer, 15 minutes isn't very long. I almost always take mine out in groups. Having a buddy can help. Try taking them out in a smaller space or keeping them close to their cage. Mine are A LOT more comfortable in the bedroom (where the cages are) than any other room. If they can smell their space, they seem better. You can also try taking out stuff from their cage so they can smell it. Other spaces that work well for me at the bathroom and bathtub. Most of mine don't like big, open spaces.

I'm sorry your girls are so scared.
They are still young, so this is the time to really socialize them. And because they are so young, they should be fine eventually. But i don't know why it would be taking so long. (Do you have any other animals in the home. If they smell one, that might make them fearful.)
It's important to take them out every single day, and a couple times a day. I usually put two of them in my hoody or sweater as i watch tv or do other things (tucking the sweater in to make sure they can't fall out the bottom). This way they have the comfort of each other as they get used to your smell and voice. Have 2 or 3 with you whenever you can. The more they are with you, the more they'll learn to trust you and be comfortable with you. I have 2 newer males, now 12 weeks old, and all they want to do is come out of their cage and be with me.
Give them time and be persistent. Don't give up, and they will have happy lives with you!

If I keep them out longer how do I tell if they are getting overly stressed?

When I take out more than one I need to keep them in a play pen. I don't have anything big enough for me to be in with them and high enough that they can't jump out so they aren't getting used to me.
When I take them out and keep them on me (my shoulders, in my shirt, etc) or sit on the couch with them I can only take one at a time. I can't keep track of two/three of them enough to make sure they don't fall off me or get lost.

My plan was to start playing with groups of two & three on the couch and keeping them out longer once they were a little less scared/better about me touching them (start with 15-20 minutes each then it becomes 30-45 minutes each, etc until they are better about being out and I can trust groups of 2/3 to come out at the same time).
If one runs off now it takes a long time to catch her (they will run every time I get close and try to pick them up), food doesn't interested them when they are out of the cage (so I can't lure them back with food) and with others also out I would have to worry about keeping an eye on them and catching the run away or trying to catch more then one at the same time.

Its called scare poop and they will eventually stop that. I've had rats that don't want to be out and hide the entire time.

I also have a dog & 2 cats.
They have always been around small animals and never had a problem.

I try not to let them come in direct contact with the rats, sometimes they will get a quick sniff before I notice they are around. Also I have seen them nose to nose with a rat through the bars of the cage.

I guess it is possible that my rats are scared of the cats but I don't think most animals see my cats as a threat (like they can sense that they are not going to hurt them).
I had a hamster who was able to get out of cages and he used to climb onto one of my cats and I was pet-sitting some rats a while back at the same time as pet-sitting my friend's cat. When my friend's cat went over to the cage he got bit on the ear but all of the rats were fine with my cats lying on top of the cage/walking around the cage/lying next to the cage/smelling the cage/etc.

jessicadelage said:
My plan was to start playing with groups of two & three on the couch and keeping them out longer once they were a little less scared/better about me touching them (start with 15-20 minutes each then it becomes 30-45 minutes each, etc until they are better about being out and I can trust groups of 2/3 to come out at the same time).
If one runs off now it takes a long time to catch her (they will run every time I get close and try to pick them up), food doesn't interested them when they are out of the cage (so I can't lure them back with food) and with others also out I would have to worry about keeping an eye on them and catching the run away or trying to catch more then one at the same time.

You mean they get off the couch? That would be tricky. If they don't get off the couch, can you sit with 2 of them on there? Mine like to hide behind my back. It's true they are harder to feel/notice when they are little, but as they get older, they'll be bigger and you'll get used to how they feel and you'll know exactly where they are in your sweater. :D
You can't say that you will take them out more when they get less scared, because that is the only way they WILL become less scared :wink: . They should've been by now. I know you are trying to be very gentle with them in giving them time, which is very nice and caring, but maybe you need to push them a little more, or they could stay like this their whole lives.
You don't have a bigger sweater with big sleeves they could hide in? I have lots of 'rat' hoodies ; :wink2:

You have cats??? Well that could explain it!! If i so much as pet a cat, when i come home, my rats (who are normally so social and always want to come out) act just like your rats do, absolutely terrified, they don't move, and they don't take treats from me, they just hide deep somewhere and i can't even see them. It doesn't matter whether you think your cats would hurt them or not, some rats just have that instinct and they KNOW what types of animals are predators. I don't blame them for being scared and hiding from something that has the inborn instinct to kill them, even though your particular cats might not.

They will jump or climb off the couch.
I have been looking for something that I can take them out to play in and get into my self but it seems they can climb or jump out of everything.

I was told to let them get used to coming out slowly and not to let them get too stressed.
How long is good to keep them out? Should I take them out for longer each time or keep it shorter but more often during the day?
I will try two & three at a time with a hoodie. Are they less likely to fall if they are in a hoodie? On my shoulder or in my shirt I seem to spend a lot of time grabbing ones that are slipping.

Since they don't seem to mind the cats being near the cage I don't think that is the problem but if the cats are a problem with the rats eventually get used to them being around?

You can start off by playing with them in a bathtub until they get used to you. Sorry if that was already mentioned I didn't read this completely.

Some people take their rats into the bathroom which makes it a nice secure room to let them run around in. I use big pieces of plastic sign boards to make a type of coral for my gang.
I've always forced socialized my gang, I never waited for them to become accustomed to me... I was not patient enough for that. lol

I take mine in the bathroom. I sit on the floor with my pocket filled with cheerios....I don't leave a cage or anything they can hide in down when getting a new rat used to the routine. The rats run around, climbing over me,. I give everyone a cheerio when they come on my lap....if they are frightened to take it I sit it down in front of them a first...on the floor when they are close to me....I do this every night....even if I can only do it for 20 minutes (longer is better, don't worry about them getting stressed...they will get over that as long as they are safe and nothing happens to them)....They do also get playtime in their playpen everyday but I find their nightly run around the bathroom with me is their most active time....and it is the most fun.

Of course, make sure the toilet cover is shut. My brother's rat jumped in the toilet once. Not a good experience for them! :shock:
Your girls sure sound slippery! I've never had experience with super skiddish babies like that. I only suggested a hoody because if they're on your shoulders, the hood up around them might make them feel more hidden and secure as they get used to being with you. And if the bottom is tucked into your pants (no, it's not a pretty sight :D ), if they fall/jump down, they won't end up on the floor.
And if it is the cats, yes they would eventually get used to them. But it's sounds like it might not be. I'm sure you can read your rats better than i can.
Best of luck!

This morning I took all 5 of them out in a room (my bathroom isn't available but this room is safer and about the same size) and they barely moved.
I had the lights dimmed and and I saw in the room quietly/tried not too move to much. Two of them hid under my legs and three of them hid in a box. They didn't come out for the whole hour (if I moved them they ran right back to their hiding place). I had some food and they completely ignored it.

~Should I keep doing this or just work with them in small groups on me for now?

Right now I have 2 of them hiding in my shirt (they have been with me about 45 minutes and I was thinking to keep them about 1 hour before I get the other three for an hour).
I put them on my shoulders and one immediately ran into my shirt the other waited a while and then followed.
In my shirt they are walking around and keep popping their head out near my neck. One of them is licking me but they move away if I try to pet them.

~Should I keep bothering them or just let them walk around for now?
~Is 1 hour each group/everyday good enough?

I would do it all. Wear them in your shirt, a couple at a time as much as possible. Take them out everyday...as long as you can. You WILL see an improvement if you keep at it...try offering them treats when out...they probably won't take them at first but keep offering....eventually they will. Don't give up they will come around. Try not to make things to quiet ....play a radio around them, keep them in a room used often.Talk to them lots....reach in and pet them when ever you can...they will learn to love you in no time.

jessicadelage said:
Right now I have 2 of them hiding in my shirt (they have been with me about 45 minutes and I was thinking to keep them about 1 hour before I get the other three for an hour).
I put them on my shoulders and one immediately ran into my shirt the other waited a while and then followed.
In my shirt they are walking around and keep popping their head out near my neck. One of them is licking me but they move away if I try to pet them.
That is great!! I'm sorry you are having such a time with them (i've never heard of babies like this for so long), but i sure am glad they have a mom like you who is so patient with them and isn't afraid to ask questions! They are so lucky!! Keep up the good work!
And i agree with Dahlas' last comments. Don't be afraid to move or make noise or go about your daily routine. And keep talking to them.
One of my 12-week-olds gets so hyper when i talk excited to him now, i don't even have to touch him, he just starts popcorning and running and wanting to play. He just knows be the tone of my voice i'm going to play with him. :lol: It's so cute!
Yours will get there, don't you worry. Just keep at it, every day.

I am in the same position.
They run up to my shoulder.
I've been taking things with a little noises now. They don't even seem to flinch from my dogs' barks, either.
Just don't like to be grabbed still, but I guess that's a given for now.
I had them for 4 days so :)

Back