My rat won't eat, drink, or move.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcamero

Hi all,

Two weeks ago, I brought home my first two rats, each about five or six weeks old. Everything was great until I came home yesterday and one was just lying in the corner of their cage, whereas she would normally come up to me and see what's up.
So she is barely moving. I try to hand feed her, and she won't even eat what is so far her favorite treat, carrot. I brought her a bottle cap of water so she wouldn't have to walk all the way to the water bottle, but she hasn't touched it. Now, starting sometime when I was sleeping last night, her nose is bloody. I've been cleaning it as well as I can so she can breathe. Her hands and feet look strange, like they're not pink enough or something. (I might just be making that up...I'm not sure that they weren't always like that.)
Oh, and sometimes her breathing is irregular.

What can i do for my sweet girl? I'm trying to avoid going to the hospital, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sara

Edit: she just started freaking out a little bit. She keeps opening her mouth wide and closing it over and over. I hope someone replies soon.

She sounds like she's very ill, probably pneumonia from what you're describing. The best way to help her is to get her to a vet, today. Tomorrow will be too late.

She may have a secondary infection that is affecting her ability to breathe. Please take her to a vet and get her onto some antibiotics as soon as possible. Things can go from bad to worse very quickly and the fact that her feet look bluish and her mouth is opening wide/her panicking indicates she can't breathe properly. She may be moving towards pneumonia. I hope you can get her onto meds soon. Please let us know how she does.

I agree. It is a very good observation you made about the feet- that is a red alarm that a) her body isn't getting enough oxygen, or b) she has lost a dangerous amount of blood(possibly internally). Either way, you need a vet ASAP. I hope your girl will be ok. >.<

I hope you were able to take her to a good rat vet ... she needs antibiotics and likely lasix to remove fluid from her lungs'or to be humanely put to sleep by a vet that knows how to do it properly - most vets don't.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9582
What she is going through is a horrible way to die

I hope you got her in to see a vet in time! I noticed no one mentioned this so I'm going to because I think you should know that the quick opening & closing of her mouth is her gasping for air. :(
She needed medical assistance as soon as you noticed her stop moving or drinking. Please reply what happened with your little girl! If you're worried to, don't be, we're a group of understanding people here. :) We just want to know what happened/how she's doing now.

Back