My rat is gay?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this normal for males?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

OlliesGirl

Me again. Oliver and Tristan seem to be healing up. But I have a new concern. I'm just a very worried new mommy. I'm new to boys and I have been trying to study up on them. I've read that mounting is a normal thing for them to establish dominance. My question is, how much is normal? Today I had them out in our play area, and Oliver just would not leave Tristan alone. I think they are either five or six months old. Oliver was just all over Tristan, it seemed like he thought Tristan was a female. I mean he would do it before but it would be quick and Ollie would run off and play with me or the toys. Today he was just seeking Tristan out and mounting him. It was too much for me. After about 15 minutes of this constant, well, what seemed like rape, I put Oliver away. He was just ignoring anything else, even treats. Was this wrong for me to do? I mean Tristan couldn't even walk around. Is this normal behavior for males?

It is a domance thing.
Buddy was doing it a lot to Jubilee (spayed girl) before he was neutered as he thought he was the alpha and she knew she was. She was not impressed by his behaviour.
Since I neuter my boys, I don't know a lot about this behaviour.

If you want some real entertainment, watch a group of young sisters running around in a play area. They chase each other and try to mount each other, and the mounter makes all the thrusting movements! The mountee usually runs off to escape.

It's pretty funny and harmless with girl rats.

It's all very normal... no raping there. lol
He would have stopped eventually. The fact that Tristan didn't get upset tells you that he really doesn't care.

In my cage, it's the girls who do all the mounting! My 1 neutered male...I don't think he knows what to do. I've never seen him mount anybody...girls seem to confuse him LOL. The most I've seen him do is reach out and grasp at a girl with his paws...he then pulls her towards him and begins grooming her!!!

Cigar said:
I burst out laughing at the title of this thread.

Haha. Well I'm glad you thought it was funny. :nyahnyah:

I'm very glad to hear that this is all normal. That silly boy of mine. He was better today too, I'll give him that. He only did it a couple times and whenever I go to see them they are sleeping all snugly together. So I guess posting right away was kinda silly of me. I'm just a worry wort, and I'm so happy that this forum is here. Everyone is so willing to help. :grouphug:

Lee said:
I'm just curious would it be the worst day in your life if you had gay rats? Why is it an issue?

I don't think she thinks it's an issue, she just wanted to know if it was normal for rats to behave that way. I don't think she meant anything negative towards the homosexual/bisexual/transgendered/asexual/etc. communities.

xxchelle said:
Lee said:
I'm just curious would it be the worst day in your life if you had gay rats? Why is it an issue?

I don't think she thinks it's an issue, she just wanted to know if it was normal for rats to behave that way. I don't think she meant anything negative towards the homosexual/bisexual/transgendered/asexual/etc. communities.

Agreed.

One of my foster rats a while ago was a mounter, and she would basically only mount Lily, none of the other girls. LOL

Oh my gosh no! :doh: I am so sorry if I've offended anyone. It was supposed to be funny and lighthearted. But I didn't consider how others could take it in another way, I'm very sorry. I wouldn't have a problem if my rat was gay. I was only concerned because he was after an apparently strait rat. Lol, poor little Tristan was so confused. :wink:

Back