My quest to find a pet rat.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmrhayner

So I live in Mt when I decided I wanted a pet rat I started looking a around the only place that sold rats here had closed her pet shop. But still sold rats in town out of her van. I went to see what she had and she had 15 to 20 tanks in her van that where 10 gal with 8-12 rats per tank and a few with 3or more momma rats with Pinky's in it. And the tanks smelled. While I stood there waiting for her to talk to me a guy asked me what kind of animal I have that I need feeders. My jaw dropped. (I do have a snake but have always feed frozen feeders from the store to her and my husband feeds it to her when I'm not home) i told him that I couldn't bare to feed a live one to her and if I was to I would never but one from this lady because they are in pore health and its not fair to the rat or snake. The guy told her he needed a large male and she gave him one for him to open the box and see that it had blood coming out of his nose. The lady asked me what I wanted I told her I didn't know if I wanted one today. And talked to her a bout how she had them over crowded and it causes health problems and that I was looking for a pet. I went home that night with a heavy heart. I watched Craigslist for the next few weeks and one day I found a post someone was giving four female rats away for pets or feeders I called right away and was able to get them one was a large female I named momma and I'm guessing that the other 3 where around 3 months old in a ten gal glass tank i picked the baby's up and found that the black and white baby was a boy. All the babys where hand shy but momma loved bing out and held. a weak later all three girls had baby's I was kinda over whelmed but I got a large cage and a small cage for the boy rat and put a add up starting a search for pet only homes for the new baby's. I got hundreds or response s from people I started from the top and told the people I needed vet reference and to do a home check to know they would have good homes, a few asked why I'd go thru all this for a rat and I told them to me my rats are family not just pets I hold all of them daily including the baby's(after there eyes open) and have put a lot of love and care in to them to make loving family friendly rats. So people got mad because they just wanted feeders and no where in town sells live feeder rats but the lady who i was talking about earlier and one other person when they have extra rats but I will not sell my rats for them to be eaten. I don't think that's wrong of me. Call me crazy but I love these guys

Quite a journey ...... and you are in the right place.
This is a rescue based site, numbers of active members have drastically declined as people's lives have changed but this site is against the use of animals as feeders and promotes adoption of rescues and of rats being rehomed, not breeding and not buying.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29217

[emoji3] they are sweet little guys. I don't plan on selling and or feeding any to any thing. I took my mom's female rat Gma because my mom kept biting her and my mom was going to just going to dump her. My mom had her with a male and she had her first litter at my moms I took her right after her last litter was born because she is sweet and iv never had a issue with her. And the best thing is she is now buy her self with the baby's. Templeton is in his own cage that my husband got me last night so after this litter is big enough to rehome she will get to retire. I'm actively looking for a good vet to fix my friends so that they can't breed any more.

Back