My new baby!!!!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

I got a new baby!!!!!! Her name is Willow and she is a hairless rat. She is so sweet, all of my girls have taken a least a few days to trust me enough to let me pick them up, not Willow she loves to be held and loves to play with my hair and give lots of kisses.
Willow8.jpg

Willow4.jpg

Willow7.jpg

All of my older girls like her except Rose. I think I am going to have to get Rose spayed she is just extremely aggressive towards everyone. The only time she comes to see me is when she wants to bite me. Every time she gets near Willow she gets all puffed out and walks towards her sideways and starts huffing and hissing and then she attacks. At least Willow is really outgoing and does not let it affect her attitude toward the other girls. Everyone else tries to mother her. So she is having to stay in the isolation tank until I either get Rose spayed or she gets used to her. I am going to try the bathtub method tonight maybe if Rose is out of her element she might accept her. If not snip, snip. She is EVIL no kidding Satan in an little red and white rat. EVIL. Rose is the perfect name for her to she is thorny =)

I am not so sure about Willow though so if you have any suggestions send them this way. She is very sweet and her little body is so warm. Remember I named the last baby Sweet Pea (R.I.P.).

And any suggestions on the introductions. Rose has not left any marks on her soft bare skin but it is bound to happen and I do not want her to make the new baby scared of other rats.

When we introduced Ducky and Gemini ( already bonded cage mates) to Mater (our 5 week old Double Rex at the time) We did the introduction in the bath tub. We did that daily for about 5 days before we let Mater go in the big boy cage and luckly we havent had any issues! Its funny cause Mater who is so tiny will pounce on top of Gemini and pin him down to wrestle and Gemini will squeel like someone is killing him lol Then Mater starts popcorning like he did something so terrific, Its so funny.

Maybe you could try giving the baby and Rose some one on one time, in an area that Rose is not used to?? See how that could work.

I have also heard to dab a bit of vanilla on the ratties to help cover up their scent when doing introductions so maybe that could be a possibilty also.

Willow is just a doll!!!!

Thanks, I will try that. I wouldn't be so worried but Rose is out for blood, she isn't just being territorial, she is pissed off. I mean she will search for Willow just to attack her. Willow being around sends her into fits and she will go after everyone else if I get in between Rose and Willow. So I usually put her in time out.

Willow definetly looks like a dumbo!!

Heres a pic of our Mater, They look so much alike!!

He is 7 weeks old now :) A double rex with Dumbo ears

100_1666.jpg

What a sweet nekkid!

You were saying you were going to neutre one of your girls so she wasn't so aggressive, right? I think I was told that it only helps males, not females. Can someone clarify this for me?

She really is adorable.
If Rose hasn't caused any scratches or gashes yet, maybe she's not all that evil? She needs to show everyone that she's the boss and her actions are typical.
Her nipping you is wrong though. I did have a young female that would nip me and I had her spayed and it completely stopped.

But I do have Nessie, she's been spayed, doesn't bite me but sure goes after everyone in the cage but doesn't hurt them, she's just a real biatch.

Should I just let her get it out of her system and just be the referee?

She has not done any damage yet it just sounds awful and poor Willow runs to me and hides for a few minutes before she ventures off again. I think I will try the tube tonight and maybe shampoo the carpet where they free range maybe if it smells different Rose will be a Little less territorial.

She is very nippy, when I go to pick her up she gets on her hind legs and opens her mouth at me so I just grab her from behind. I can literally hold her long enough to look for any lumps and then she starts to just thrash around I always put her down gently after she calms down a bit, I do not put her down while she is throwing her fit I do not want to encourage her.

My 6 Girls said:
Should I just let her get it out of her system and just be the referee?
She definitely needs to do it. It has to happen and then sooner the better so I would have to say yes, just sit and referee. But be ready in case it will be a serious attack.
She has not done any damage yet it just sounds awful and poor Willow runs to me and hides for a few minutes before she ventures off again. I think I will try the tube tonight and maybe shampoo the carpet where they free range maybe if it smells different Rose will be a Little less territorial.
Making the area neutral is a good idea.
She is very nippy, when I go to pick her up she gets on her hind legs and opens her mouth at me so I just grab her from behind. I can literally hold her long enough to look for any lumps and then she starts to just thrash around I always put her down gently after she calms down a bit, I do not put her down while she is throwing her fit I do not want to encourage her.

How old is she? Have you tried scooping her up instead of grabbing?

I estimate she will be a year old in December. Scooping yes, she just nips and halls butt away from me. When she was little she wasn't that bad I would hold her and pet her but as she got bigger she just got more standoffish, I will hold my hand out and let her sniff and she just bites me. The only time I can get her to come near me is when she wants to on her own or when I have food, then she climbs all over me grabbing at whatever it is I have.

She is really, really ruff with the older girls as well. Right now she is the youngest in the cage. I will hear her at night just tear through the cage attacking anyone in her path. It is pretty hilarious, rats and litter flying everywhere, she doesn't mean any harm she is just young. I have increased their free range time from an hour to about three hours (I had to get a better enclosure that they could not chew through in seconds) I thought it would help but she is still the same. She rides everyone, non stop (I think she should have been born a boy).

Girls can be influenced by their hormones too.... just not as often as boys. So sometimes a spay CAN help. Plus, less hormones, less PMS LOL

Willow is adorable :D

So I tried to just let Rose get over being with the new baby, but she ended up putting teeth marks in her back and scratched her rear all up.

I am very thankful that Willow is very outgoing and does not let it affect her additude as soon as Rose went away she went to grooming herself and pop corning around my hand.

I am going to try introducing just the two of them in the tub tonight maybe Rose will be a little nicer this time. Willow got a little beat up by some of the other girls but they are just putting the youngster in her place, they are not near as mean as Rose.

Everyone seemed to be in a bad mood last night, Ivy and Lilly were both in heat so they were just vibrating around everytime soemone tounched them. Flower and Clover just wanted to be held and left to nap and Rose well Rose was Rose.

Back