My Melissa: April 13, 2006 to May 6, 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I am grieving the loss of my Melissa :heart:, one of Corrie and Byron's daughters & sister to many ratties on this Forum.

She was one of the surprise litter born long after Corrie and Byron had been separated: just as I thought my fostering days were done, with Corrie's babies all adopted and twenty-three days gone by, Corrie got that telltale basketball figure and produced nine baby girls (delayed implantation strikes again!). I adopted five of those girls, and one of the fawn girls was Melissa.

Melissa was an adventurous little ratty in her youth; she sneaked over to Edith and Rhonda's cage and got a couple of bitten toes for her efforts. That was the first of several times I was up all night with my Melissa.

She was a sweetie, and she loved food of all kinds. She wasn't as good a climber as her sisters and her mama, which I thought was due to the injuries to her toes or due to her weight, but this may have been the first clue that her heart wasn't working as well as it should.

She began having serious respiratory problems at New Year's, was very close to death at one point, and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Lasix and benazepril caused a near-miraculous recovery, and we had four more wonderful months with her. Suddenly , without warning, she took a turn for the worse.

I was out of town with my sister, and my husband didn't know what to do, so Linda did a wonderful job of giving Melissa a chance at recovery. Melissa rallied a couple of times, but the improvement didn't last. Her heart was failing fast.

Last night, seeing her deep costal breathing and her extremities turning blue & being unable to get her to take fluids, I called the on-call vet to see whether there was anything that could be done. But Melissa was in a Catch-22 situation: if she got enough Lasix to clear her lungs, she got dehydrated. When she drank enough to rehydrate, her heart couldn't clear her lungs. This was despite two days of Linda's constant nursing care (e.g. Lasix every four hours, fluids by syringe).

The vet was very compassionate, and she explained the medical issues to me. There was really no other humane option than to have Melissa pts, because nothing would have given her a lasting improvement.

My sister was there to share the sorrow as we patted Melissa and let her go to the Bridge.

My avatar is a recent photo of her in my arms. I will post some photos of her in her younger days.

Thanks so much to Linda! Without her care of Melissa, her last hours would have been much worse and I would not have had the chance to be with her at the end. Linda gave Melissa the second chance that Corrie did not get.

I share your grief at Melissa's loss.
I had the privilage of caring for her and her sisters during their first 6 weeks of life.
Melissa :heart: was a dear girl.
I'll look for some pics too.

:hugs:

Holly & David (Melissa's older brother)

Babysitting Godmother's girls ...

Nov14visitorscage.jpg
Nov15Melissa.jpg

... Vacation cage is a bit small, don't you think? .................... Melissa peeking out

Nov15curiousgirls.jpg
Dec26Christmasdinner.jpg

.............. Beautiful girls ........................ Godmother's girls eat Christmas dinner (2006) at my place

:hugs: I'm so sorry, Godmother! Melissa was a real sweetie.... I'm very sorry to see her go, though I'm glad that you got to be with her when it happened. Thank you, Linda for helping that to happen! :hugs: :hugs:

I'm so sorry godmother....I'm just heading out the door to have little Tilly and Maisie spayed and decided to just pop on to see the Rat Shack babies and I saw that you had lost your dear Melissa. I'm so very sorry...she was a beautiful girl and I know she meant the world to you.
I wish I was closer to give you a big hug but here is a virtual one.......hope it helps a little..... :hugs:

I'm sorry Godmother for your loss. The avatar of Melissia is a beautiful picture. Waiting to see younger picture of your lovely lady. Decision like the one you had to make are never easy but now she is with her sibling running freely at Rainbow Bridge. Take Care.

Ann

Corrie, Nettie and Byron's litters will always have such a special place in our hearts and when each one of those rats leave us, is truly a sad day for all of us.
I'm so so sorry Godmother. :cry3:

I am so sorry, we were all pulling for Melissa to come through this latest downturn. Poor little beautiful girl, she looked soo much like her sister Kyrie. :heart:

My heart grieves with you. :sad3:

I do have to wonder if our bigger girls are still big or are much more svelte and active at the Bridge? :hugs:

Thanks, everyone, for your comforting words. Shelagh, yes, I do hope that Melissa and Kyrie are svelte at the Bridge, able to climb like their mama did!

Love those virtual hugs! They help a lot.

I am so sorry for the loss of Melissa. I hope you and your other ratties are okay. :hugs:

Thanks. I am doing better the last day or so. Melissa's sisters seem to have adjusted, after a day of being skittish. My sister and I watched the Party at the Rainbow Bridge video.

With almost every rat's death, I have to battle the constant thoughts, "Why didn't I notice something in time?" "Why didn't I increase the meds sooner?" It takes a while to change the channel to more useful thoughts: "You did your best. Take what you learned and use it to help other rats in the future".

I have noticed that with Melissa's sisters and brothers, the fawns seem to live shorter lives than the beiges. I will keep an eagle eye on Penny and Megan, my remaining fawns.

It helps to remember how wonderful it was to cuddle Melissa. I would not have missed that experience, even though it hurts to be without her now.

Thanks to all of you for kind thoughts and comforting words. :heart:

Godmother, you did do your best and you are absolutely right that you may use what you learned for future rats. I am very happy for you that you are feeling a bit better. Though Melissa has gone, she will always be with you in your heart. :heart:

My best wishes for you and your other ratties.

Back