My girl Jazzie is quite ill.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujubeespmud

Just thought I'd let you know that my girl Jazzie, who is 3 yrs old (long life) is not well at all. She has been through a lot since April, when she had a mammary tumor removed that was quite large, but the vet said it was not difficult to remove. She recovered nicely. I took her back in July because her eye was tearing up. Another vet that I have never seen examined Jazzy and when I told her I thought she had Bell's Palsy since her faced appeared crooked, eye was tearing and ear was twitching..all on the same side, she said it could be. She also had an abdominal mammary tumor. She went back to see my usual vet and he said her tooth was broken, he thought he'd have to remove it at the same time he was going to remove the mammary tumor. Turns out he only had to trim back the teeth and he also removed the tumors (found another one under the arm, but tiny). She recovered nicely from the surgery, but her eye still acted up. I was given an ointment to use and I've continued to use it onliy because it seems soothing to her. I really think she had something else going on. Now, the eye is just about completely closed and her ear still twitches. It's uncanny. I went away for 1 1/2 wks out of state to my son's wedding and upon returning, now a new symptom...she appears to have a "head tilt" problem...most likely from an imbalance ..maybe a pituitary tumor? who knows. Maybe it has been an ear infection all along. But I can't imagine my vet would miss that. I did question that before and was told her ear(s) were fine. So I put her on antibiotic and started her on prednisone. I could see some improvement, but I noticed she has some paralysis on her right hind quarter. So she isn't eating normally...she doesn't have much control in the jaw on that side she has issues with. Maybe she had a stroke. What ever the case, it is time for her to be pts. I don't want to see her suffer. She is a trooper. She breathes labored at times...makes "pigeon noises" but this is not all of the time. I've brought her into the bathroom with the shower steaming up the room and that has helped her. I put a vaporizer/humidifier in the rat room. I've hand fed her and bathed her since she does not have the control needed. I plan to call my vet tomorrow.:( Please say a little prayer that she will go peacefully in the night. I hate having to do this, but I've done it many times before. It's not any easier either, as most of you already know. I've spent a lot of time with her holding her and petting her and talking softly to her. She seems to understand and is comforted by this. It's funny how a little critter can give so much affection and receive affection and love from a human being. Sweet. I'll really miss her so. I adopted Jazzie when she was 11 weeks old. Her sister also, at 11 weeks. She was also an agouti girl named GG who passed last year. Jazzie has always been a favorite rattie...she is my only dumbo girl I've ever had and so cute she is still! If anyone has any feelings about what all of these symptoms would be, please share your thoughts. I know it is time for her to go to the bridge, but I'd still like to learn more. thanks..Julie

Julie, I am so sorry. I can't help with any of her problems I just wanted to let you know that I said a prayer for you and Jazzie.

Melissa :hugs:

It's not often someone asks for prayers that their kids passes in the night.. I know Ive said them myself for my own kids so I understand. I hope she will go at home with you and leave one loving world for another. (But it's a rare kid that does what we ask of them tho).
I'm so sorry. It sounds like Jazzie has a mom who puts her first even in the end.
It's so sad, but the best thing we can hope for in a perfect life is that her spriit outlives her body.
I send Jazzie loving kisses which you can pass along to her or not.
Jujubeespumud - :cuddle:

This is my favorite comfort poem for a loss..... Dont need to read it now, it's for when you need it.

All Is Well
Death is nothing at all,
I have only slipped into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by my old familiar name,
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used
Put no difference in your tone,
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household world that it always was,
Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It it the same as it ever was, there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near,
Just around the corner.
All is well.
Henry Scott Holland
1847-1918

Lots of hugs for you and Jazzie. The symptoms you describe are similar to what my very old girl had. It was pretty much chalked up to old age.

Back