My Dumbo rats behaviour is very odd, Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimeeCarissa

I have 2 Dumbo Rats. They are a year old and I adopted them from their previous owners 6 months ago.
One of them (Roxy), Over the last 2 days, keeps taking everything in their cage to the top level.
It's not just a few things. She is surrounding herself (On the top shelf) with the litter I put in their cage, their food, She's torn up the cardboard box I put in there as a house (and took it to the top) and she has also ripped down and torn up their hammoc (also surounding herself with it). Basically she's just taking everything up there. She has also been pinning Obie upside down.

My father thinks that she's becoming brooding as she might want babies, or she's just acting up, but we're not entirely sure.

I'm really confused as she has never had behaviour like this before, And I would really like some advice.

Cheers,
Aimee
xox

I sounds to me like you girl is a nester. She enjoys making really nice nests to sleep in. This may also be becoming "her" space, so when the other girl comes near she lets her know "I live here!"

I used to have a boy - yes, a boy - that would shred pieces of newspaper in to strips, and he would take it to the bars surrounding his straw nests, and he would push the paper through the bars at both sides - so it would stick up like wallpaper. it was really odd. I have a video somewhere ill have to try find of it. My latest dumbo boy takes everything he can find - straw, paper, material - and will pack his hammocks etc. out with it

Some rats enjoy constructing elaborate nests ...
I had a boy (Jordan) and a girl (Hannah Banana) that spent massive amounts of time building their nests.

Oh yes, nothing wrong with her in the slightest! My girls do amazing things with their blankies...

heh heh heh I had a boy and a girl who were very serious nest builders and everything (and I mean everything) was considered nesting material.

Back