my doggie-woggie

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicky82

here is a pic of our dog Thunder, we got him from people who had dog sled teams and were going to put him down because he wasn't a team player and wouldn't stay behind the lead dog and in line :whip: he's about 6 years old now, he loves women and howls at them when he's out for a walk and the women don't talk to him :love2: He's part husky, part greyhound
IMG_1548.jpg

What a gorgeous dog... a malamute? husky? He must look good at the end of your leach in the deep snowy winters of North Bay. :love7:

I would think it would have something to do with the speed. But, you want the dogs to work with people, and sighthounds are generally pretty aloof. Granted, greyhounds seem to be the least aloof (in comparison to say, Afghans or Salukis).. it just seems like a weird choice to me. I would guess that there are some that end up being more hound-y, but you just don't see them used for sledding because of it. Also, it seems like spitz genes end up being pretty dominant in mixes. You can almost always pick out the husky or mal or whatever in a spitz mix.

I'm going to stop rambling.

He's so gorgeous... I keep coming back to look at his picture.

Thanks guys, we are so glad we were able to take him in or else he wouldn't be around anymore :pale:
He's also really tall, when up on his hind legs, he's probably 6 feet tall :wow2: He's abit barrel chested on the front and has a narrow back end where you can tell he's greyhound but them he's got the fluffy husky tail :love11: Everytime I go out to visit with him, he either rolls over so I can rub his belly or puts his butt towards me so I can scratch the base of his tail :lol6:

oh what gorgeous eyes Thunder has! :wow2:

As for adding sighthounds to the mix, they do ALOT. Greyhounds, Salukis, Ibizan Hounds.....in this general size. It is mainly for speed. (a sighthound mix is called a Lurcher)

moon: its not that sighthounds are aloof, its that they were bred and taught for thousands of years to hunt on their own without close supervision of humans. These guys were trained to go out and bring home the bacon.

OD, I am completely aware of what sighthounds were bred for.. I showed greyhounds with my family for 6 years (we also had a whippet and I handled whippets and borzois for breeders when they were short a handler at dogshows). :lol: Perhaps "aloof" was the wrong word for what I was saying, but I think the point is still there... they were bred to hunt and whatnot on their own, but when choosing dogs to front your sled team, you'd want one who would actually listen to your commands, not look at you like you're an idiot. :giggle: Or at least, that's the look Sassy gave me when I would call her off the couch to come practice ring craft.

Lurcher... there's a term I haven't heard in a long time.

Back