My boring cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synnøve

I'm not going to have the cage i use now forever, cause it's a bit small. The cage calculator says it's big enough for two rats if I use the space as good as possible. But I still want them to have a bit more space when they are fully grown :)
But, that's not really the point of this tread.

I think the cage is quite boring. There are a couple of hammocks I made, a tunnel, a wooden tunnel-thingy with holes in it, two platforms, a rope they can climb on (they don't seem interested in that, though), a box hanging from the ceiling, and a long tube that goes outside the cage, on top.
So there are a few things they can use, but still, when I look at the pics of the amazing (!) cages you guys have, I get kinda depressed :shock:

I wanna make lots of stuff for them! (Especially fabric things, like more hammocks). But I kinda don't know where to start..

Do you have any suggestions for a make over for this cage? :p
Maybe some recipes for things I can make, myself?

Here's a pic of how it looks now
P1010656.jpg

I keep going back looking at it and you've got everything in there. I don't have any suggestions. lol
I love the blue rope, did you make that or buy it like that? I bet the ratties love the hanging bucket too. :D

Your cage looks great. Do you have lots of chew toys in there? The ratties can climb to the outside? That looks cool. Can you post a pic of the top of the cage?

Hehe, wow.. Maybe it's not as bad as I think..

The blue rope is just something i made :) It was lying in the garage, and i cut of a piece, and made knots. You can get that type of rope allmost anywhere, i think

They, cant climb to the outside, no.. At least at the moment. I could arrange that, though :p

P1010692.jpg

it's a great cage :thumbup: it looks like fun :D
how big are those tubes you have? I wondered about them when my boys were little but I worried that they might get stuck in them when they got bigger or suffocate in them when they couldn't figure out how to get out so I didn't bother and just got them a large piece of PVC (plumber's) pipe

The girls can easily fit in the tubes now, but in a while i'll probably have remove them. I had this cage before I got the girls, I don't think i would have bothered to use money on tubes i won't use much if I was looking for a rat cage.
It is really big hamster cage (I bought it for a hamster, and it said "hamster/rat cage", but because of the tubes i don't think it is made to be used for rats)

Wow that looks really cool. I love all the tubes. Maybe when the girls get bigger, you can use a dryer vent (4 inches wide) in much the same way.

It would be cool if i could work something like that out, yeah :)

While i'm on the subject.. Do you think it could be possible for them to keep living in that cage? I have an old hamster cage, this type:
ferplastminiduna.jpg
, that i thought i might connect to the big cage, and that way they would have some extra room. They are just two girls, so they don't need enormous space, but I don't want them to be unhappy having to little either..

Im not sure, but i think it's about 60 x 55 x 35 cm..
It's not a Jenny, no.. I've though about buying a Jenny, though.. I like them :)

Back