Murielle The Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifer

I received an e-mail last night from a friend of mine asking me if I would be willing to take in a female rat. Naturally, I was caught off guard, but I agreed nonetheless. I'm glad I did, especially once I heard the details.

Apparently, her friend came across the rat in the parking lot of our downtown Tim Hortons. When she found the rat, it was raining. Actually, the rat found her - she boldly climbed into the woman's purse while the woman was standing outside. I'll bet a lot of people would have screamed if a wet rat climbed into their purse out of the blue like that! But thank goodness, she was the kind of person who was familiar with fancy rats and so she took the rat to my friends house, who in turn, contacted me.

She arrived a few hours ago. She is a sweet soul. I am unsure of her age or background, but she doesn't appear to be that young.

Sadly, she only has one eye. It seems it has been that way for eons as she looks like my friend's cat after it had surgery to remove an eye - everything is healed and it just looks like one eye is closed. I wish I knew the details behind what happened to the eye, or how long it has been that way, but I suppose I'll never know.

She also has a small, thick callous on her left hind foot but it doesn't seem to impede her walking. Nonetheless, I will keep an eye on it. She is also quite thin and her fur is also thin and dull. At least no fleas or skin issues, which is good.

For a little rat who has obviously endured a rough life, her demeanor is terrific! She is very friendly and gentle. I'm completely blown away by how easily she is handled and how fearless she is towards me.

A lot of work lies ahead, to get her strong and healthy.

I've never had an outdoor rescue before. I wasn't expecting her and I'm kind of upside down right now. Any advice?

I couldn't resist naming her Murielle, after my mother-in-law, when I saw she had one eye. My mother-in-law recently had an eye surgery and has been wearing an eye patch. She has a twin now! ;)

I'm so glad she found her way to you. The only advice I can give is keep her in QT so as not to give anything to your other ratties. :congrats: :pics?!?:

I have indeed quarantined her. I usually quarantine for 4 weeks. Is that long enough? Should it be longer since she came from outdoors?

Also...I was wondering if I should bathe her, but I wanted to wait in case it was stressful on her. I have a bottle of Phytosoin rodent shampoo (http://www.phytosoin.com/scripts/Catalogue.php?CategorieRecherche=31). I've only used the shampoo once, on one of my hamsters, when it soiled itself. I've never had the need to bathe any of my rats so far. Is there something better to use on rats?

I just wondering if now would warrant a washing and when would be the best time to do it.

How long ago was she found? This is my opinion, but I wouldn't bathe her right away. She must be so stressed out right now. I would feed her and make sure she's comfy and give her a few days.

Exactly what I was thinking...too much stress for right now.

She was found just yesterday so tonight will only be her second night indoors. I can only imagine how she is feeling having adapted to so much in 24 hours - from outdoors to that lady's purse to my friends house and now to here...wow!

I was thinking of bathing her in a week or so, just to freshen her up since she has been crawling around outside. Perhaps wiping her down with a warm, damp cloth will be better? What do you suggest?

Back