Multiple Albinos!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Alright so today I bought 3 albinos all looking the same and all being the same size. No, this was not most likely the best idea but I was truly affraid they where going to be sold and eaten by a snake so I bought them and a cage and I was wondering because there all albino will I ever be able to instantly recognize them and properly name them or no?

Yes.

You can mark the base of their tails with nontoxic markers.
Once you get to know them you will likely be able to tell them apart by their personalities.

sure you will, you'll just need some practice. i have multiple albinos as well, when they are growing up and their faces are changing so much you should mark their tails with different colored sharpie markers, or the same color but in a different place. right now this is how i'm learning to tell kayi and neve apart, two albino sisters. now that i've had them for a while i can start to tell the differences in their face and body structure without having to check the tails. once you've had yours for a while you'll be able to tell the difference in their faces as well. it is a very rare case when you will come across true identical twins, so you will be able to tell the difference eventually because their faces and body will have a different structure. for instance, kayi is the smaller of the two pews and has a dainter structure overall, her head is narrower and she's just generally slimer then her larger sister neve who also hasa rather square head.

but pews aren't the only ones that you can sometimes have problems telling the difference on. i also have three beige berks and 3 black berks. when you can't see their tummies they can look a lot alike and because you don't see a rat's belly nearly as much as their face sometimes you, or at least i, tend to be able to tell them apart better from their face even though they have different markings on their bellies. again it comes down to facial and body structure. when you have rats of different ages or genders you may even be able to tell the difference between the quality of the coat. out of my 3 beige berks, though they are all the same age range there abouts, they each have a different feel to their fur. romar is long and soft like bird down, chancey is short and ruff and elphaba is smooth like satin. and once again the structure of each of their faces is different. chancey has a chunky, blocky face, romar has a very long, pointy face and elphaba has a face like a horse, broad forehead and long snout with great big eyes. it does take practice though. i've gotten pretty good at telling the difference that its seldom i get the 3 of them mixed up, but people that don't know them as well as i do can't tell the difference between them at all until i point it out.

so far its pretty easy to tell the difference between my 3 black berks as one is a tiny baby, the other is a young adult and the last one is an old old man. though they have the same colors they are as different from each other as night as day. but when ellesmera grows up i can already tell she is going to be a spitting image of her mother altana and i'm sure i will have to get lots of practice telling the two of them apart as well.

and of course it always helps once they know and respond to their names. if there is any doubt i can just call for one of them and watch who responds.

so the short of the answer is, yes, you will be able to tell them apart and give them their own names. marker their tail and give them their names. interact with them and you'll eventually be able to tell the difference and once they know their names you can call to them and that will help as well.

Back