Mouse in the House - 08/02

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quiet as a mouse at my place. I keep an eye out for him, but he's soo wee and agouti that he will be hard to notice. I keep hoping though :) I would just like a sighting to see if he's okay :D

lilspaz68 said:
Bad news. Dr Munn is sure he's a wild mouse and its illegal for vets here to treat wildlife :(
He told me that he would work long range treatments if necessary for us. I emailed back and said it was determined he was domestic (I had said this before).

and got this back

Hi Shelagh,

If you want to bring him on Monday for the day that's fine. He looks like a wild mouse to me.....not too many domestic mice running around free in the city. They are always killed or die from lack of street smarts.

See you tomorrow,

What do I do? Do I jeopardize the relationship I have with my vet? I can treat Nimby at home, and have already started. He got non-steroidal eye ointment (Tobrex) in his eye and a drop of baytril which he swallowed readily even though I had him restrained...what a good boy! What if he needs the vet one day and my vet is already convinced he's wild and won't see him for sure? Do I take this opportunity to prove he's not?

I've been looking into what it takes to become a veterinary nurse (experience, qualifications, where to study etc.) and i came across this bit of info.. (i know the topic has already been covered, but i thought i would add it anyway)

Collecting Assessment Evidence on Exotics (Small Animal Evidence Route)
The Veterinary Nursing Occupational Standards define exotics thus:
"Exotics are small pets other than cats and dogs, and may include: birds, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and small animals".
This definition can be found in the Occupational Standards on the unit description page of each unit where evidence of exotics is required. The key requirement is that the animal is a pet and therefore is owned. This definition therefore excludes wildlife.

lilspaz68 said:
Quiet as a mouse at my place. I keep an eye out for him, but he's soo wee and agouti that he will be hard to notice. I keep hoping though :) I would just like a sighting to see if he's okay :D

Have you put out food and watched to see if any of it disappears?

He might be in your closet...

When Roquefort was alive, he disappeared and it took me almost an hour to find him... in my closet....curled up in one of my fleece moccasins. :D

jennifervb said:
lilspaz68 said:

When Roquefort was alive, he disappeared and it took me almost an hour to find him... in my closet....curled up in one of my fleece moccasins. :D

Since the rats fling lab blocks out regularly there's always food, and the water bowl on the couch end table (the rats table now) is always full. He eats and drinks so little being tiny that I cannot tell if he's eaten at all. If he's alive he's fed and waterered, plus his own cage doors are open for him to go back inside as well.

Mumsy is dropping off a humane mouse trap for me on Friday though. :thumbup:

lilspaz68 said:
jennifervb said:
lilspaz68 said:

Since the rats fling lab blocks out regularly there's always food, and the water bowl on the couch end table (the rats table now) is always full. He eats and drinks so little being tiny that I cannot tell if he's eaten at all. If he's alive he's fed and waterered, plus his own cage doors are open for him to go back inside as well.

Mumsy is dropping off a humane mouse trap for me on Friday though. :thumbup:

AWESOME!!! What a little adventurer! No longer sure that he didn't escape from someone the day you found him in the rain. :laugh4:

From this thread I've learned that any mouse which ever lands in my house will get his/her little buttcheeks parked in a glass tank and not a cage! LOL.... nothing like being outwitted by a 2 inch furball. LMAO!!!!! :laugh4:

Had another idea this morning, at 4AM, when I woke up... :roll:

How about putting out a dish of something you can count after all the rats are in for the night?

If all your peas (for example) are gone then you should have a pretty good idea if the little snoot is still in your realm. :wink:

jennifervb said:
after all the rats are in for the night?

does that even happen at shel's place? between the over nighters and normal out time... do they even all go in when she goes to work...? :lol:

Well...Dudley was my overnighter in the bedroom, and Otto and Shama had the livingroom (they were unintentional), got the 2 livingroom elderlies this morning but Duds declined to appear. Sadly this means poor Faith is stuck in her cage for the day LOL

I will put down 6 peas and count them in the moirning when I have no one loose int he livingroom.

I am praying that Elizabeth stuffed the bag with mouse trap in my bushes this morning :D

I just saw the 1st page, and the cage, and his size and thought Oboy - same cage I put one in I captured in a neighbours apt. to let go in the wild in the morning but found gone in the morning - unbelievable it could get thru the bars! So saddened but not surprised to go to the last page and find he's gone...

He's gone to live as he was intended to, but in good health thanks to you. Maybe ready to propagate and bring preggo missus home to live under your stove? :giggle:

If he ever finds himself hungry & depressed in the rain he knows where to find you. Not many little mousies have that option, seems he must have known that when he met you to have just snuggled up and not bit or ran :heart:

Maybe he just needed a little TLC and was back to being a little adventure man. Maybe he went to find his family , you never know. I lost a mouse and believe it or not I found it a month later! Still healthy and acting like nothing happened :giggle:

Back