Mother killed five, five week old babies.. what happened?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another baby passed away early this morning... there is a single boy left.

He seems to be doing good, but that may change very fast. Joey has grown attached to the little guy and got up several times last night to check on him.. he calls him Ketchup. :p (I don't know why, haha)

My hopes are high that this little guy makes it, and that Molly feels better soon...

I'm sending all the healing and healthy vibes I can his way. Someone has to make it from this litter after all the love and care you worked so hard to provide for them.

Tarah, since joey gets up several times anyway, each time you check on the little guy, massage his tummy like you are helping him to express. Also, keep him on soft foods. Some rats with only slight megacolon can survive with massaging tummies and soft foods.

Very sorry for your loss and the suffering those babies went through.
Glad that you now know the reason ... when I started reading this thread I knew that Molly hadn't killed her babies, that she had just clean up. Glad I read all the posts before writing.

Hope the little guy doesn't develop early or late onset megacolon.
:hugs:

Soft foods, and add a fish oil to his diet.... you can bye them in capsules and cut into them to squeeze out the oil.... incomplete megacolon may cause only a small part of the intestine to not be able to pass on waste, so "lubing it up" can help things along.

Megacolon :( that explains everything.
What a horrid thing for you to experience. I pray that the last little guy makes it and is okay, and everyones advice helps and does the job.

Sorry for your losses Tarah and Joey

Back