Monkey Intro Progress. Need Advice.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKbusy

Monkey was neutered September 4th, meaning it’s been well over a month. I’d tried intro-ing him to the other boys on several occasions and could never get past the bathtub stage without blood and fur. At first, I was seriously getting discouraged, but then after noticing one day that Liam was the only one continuously frozen in fear and shrieking at Monkey, I decided to try again without Liam in the mix.

Last night, I cleaned everything and rearranged their play area. I had everyone but Liam out (Liam was with me on the desk) and although there was a little scuffling, Monkey did great! I decided to keep them out for the next 4 hours, see what would happen and I felt so happy when Spook got tired, returned to the cage and Monkey followed him! They weren’t exactly snuggled right up on each other, but Monkey was laying all spread out and smooshed down next to Spook and OMG. He just had the most relaxed look on his face ever! It was the first time I ever saw him fall asleep out in the open like that (usually he has to bury himself under a blanket or hide in one of the igloos.

I feel horrible now for not noticing sooner that it wasn’t his fault, that it was Liam who was causing all that tension.

Either way, my question is, Liam is about 5-6 months old. I’d read that they go through a “fear” phase at that age. Should I wait till he’s a bit more grown up? Maybe he’ll grow out of his fear? Or should I not bother and just get him neutered? I will cough up the money and get it done if it’s necessary, but Monkey did get neutered last month, and I’m still paying for his medication for the swelling he had and the breathing issues.

Then again, it would mean Monkey living alone until Liam decides to grow up.

Thanks in advance.

Oh! And also, Liam is pretty clearly the “alpha” right now (or wannabe alpha anyway, since the others are so not interested in being boss). What will happen when he gets neutered?! Then ALL my boys will be neutered males! Maybe there just… will be no alpha?

There will always be an alpha, but a neutered alpha is typically a calmer, more respectable alpha, hahaha.

If the others aren't interested in wearing the Alpha hat, it sounds like Liam is being thrust into the position a bit, and he's not sure how to deal with it where Monkey is concerned.

You may get Liam to mature a bit, but some overly nervous boys have wonders worked by neuters also. Perhaps over the next couple of months you can do extra one on one bonding with Liam to build his confidence, and try again. If that doesn't go over it'll be time for another neuter.

In the tub, no. On the ground, yes. Is that why? Because Liam's being defensive/territorial?

But I've had them on my work desk too, and they're never allowed up there, so it was the most neutral I could get without it being a tub and no access to their cages, and Liam was still shrieking. He actually jumped off the desk... while Spook and Marley hung around feeling bored and hanging their heads as far off the table as they could.

Thanks again...

---- edit ----

The truth is, I had a feeling that it was Liam going through a "fear phase" in the first place, even before I posted, because he was running away from ME! (Me of the endless treats and scritches!) and I'd been trying to spend more time with him anyway, like keeping him in my sweater for a whole half hour and stuff... I just wasn't sure, and wanted confirmation of my own theory.

Still, other suggestions are definitely definitely wanted! ^_^

Back