Mold Effects

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

As most of you know Wayne and I moved out of our apartment we had been living in due to mold we found. We felt the landlord was ignoring some things so we decided to walk away. Yes we are living at my parents now and my stepfather HATES rats but it's ok. What I really wanted to mention is that I learned from this whole experience how environmental conditions in the living space can be harmful to animals. I mean we mention that scents aren't good, smoking isn't good etc, etc. But sometimes people don't really see it. I didn't until recently.

We moved into this apartment last November. We had Hazel and Ruby for almost a year and they had not had any breathing problems. In the new year Hazel starting having some issues with breathing. We took a trip to the vet and the vet although she didn't thing is was her lungs but nasal instead. So we treated it. It came back a few months later, we treated again, came back again, I tried echineacha and it cleared it up for a bit. Came back again and then we discovered the mold. We moved out to my parents immediately. This was at the end of August. After some research we realized that mold is harsh on animals as well. We figured that this could be Hazels breathing issue. I tried benedryll, echineacha again but nothing worked. I went against what most would say to me and I didn't medicate. She wasn't that bad and I could tell it was more in the nose then anything so I let it be. Well a week ago after Hazel had been having issues for just over a month it stopped completely. I haven't heard anything since. Wayne kept telling me that we had health issues as well, it was obviously going to bother them as well. Also it would bother them longer because they are smaller and they were there 24/7.

I wanted to tell you this because I think it's good to hear stories of what happens to rat owners with their rats. I know it helps me to learn these things.

We just don't know what's in our atmosphere and how it's affecting the rats. It's good to know your story with mold, it's something we should be on the look out for, thorough cleaning is key to healthy living.
I'm so happy your girls are doing better! :joy:

I agree Jo, most of the time we don't even know the cause. With us it wasn't until the summer and late summer at that until we even saw mold come out of the whole in the bathroom. The landlord told us that this has been going on for a while, brewing for a while so I know we've had sleeping problems for the longest time since we moved in but we put it off to other things. It's amazing how these things happen.

Back