Modifying an FN with Plexi Glass

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime654

Has anyone considered using pexiglass inconjunction with hardware cloth to modify a Ferret Nation for pups / small females?

Im thinking of doing both sides top and back in plexi, and then doors with Hardware cloth. Heres my reasoning:

• I can get the plexiglass cut to size at the hardware store[/*:m:3a4rghp4]
  • the only hardware cloth Ive seen around here is galvanized, which I hear holds urine and the smell[/*:m:3a4rghp4]
  • It would be temporary, Im going to be getting males so eventually the FN bar spacing should be sufficient [/*:m:3a4rghp4]
  • winter is coming, and I generally perfer a cold house, worried that it might be too cold for the ratties, also have a timer on my thermostat which turns off the heat while Im at work[/*:m:3a4rghp4]

Also, reading other articles about how to modify the FN I am curious if the bottom has to be modified as well? I plan on using the pan lined with a towel, so not sure how necessary this is.

(Thinking about getting this done tonite, so any feed back before then would be great :) )

I personally would recommend against using plexiglass.

We use plexiglass around the base of our big cages. The pans are only 2 inches high, and we use Aspen in those pans. So the Plexiglas is about 5 inches high and goes around the sides and back of the cage (to keep litter from being kicked out). We have to take that off and wash it everytime we clean the cage, because stuff gets splattered on it. i.e. food, you name it.

We sectioned off the upper level of our big cage once, so we could have two groups in the same big cage. We used the plexiglass between those two levels. It was a huge pain, because food, and stuff would fall through the cage mesh, then just sit on the plexiglass. We had to use a vaccum to get it up, but still couldn't clean the glass appropriately. We took the plexiglass out 2 weeks later.

My other concern about the plexiglass would be the resticted airflow. It would be more like an aquarium, which we know isn't good for the ratties with their delicate respiratory systems.

We find the coated hardware mesh at the local Home Depot or Lowes. It comes in a roll and really works great. I still think the galvanized mesh (though not ideal) would be a better idea than the plexiglass.

I'm not sure about where you live, but here the plexiglass is expensive too. I think to cover an FN cage, it would be over $100 here.

Just my two cents, based on the pain we went through with plexiglass :wink2:

I agree with the air flow. Adding it to the back would work but for the front and sides, I'd probably stick with the hardware mesh. My local home depot don't have any plastic coated hardware mesh. But they do sell this hard plastic kind of thing for fencing. I'm not sure if the ratties would chew through it too fast though.

what if it were plexiglass with drilled air holes? Kind of like the windows at the bank, how they have holes so you can hear the people talking etc...

I'd imagine a drill hole is tiny enough to not be an issue, and if the plexiglass is a temp. fix until they big enough to not go through the bars, pulling things apart and cleaning them kind of just goes with the territory.

CardboardCastles said:
what if it were plexiglass with drilled air holes? Kind of like the windows at the bank, how they have holes so you can hear the people talking etc...

I'd imagine a drill hole is tiny enough to not be an issue, and if the plexiglass is a temp. fix until they big enough to not go through the bars, pulling things apart and cleaning them kind of just goes with the territory.

That's a good idea. :thumbup:

My husband and I use plexglass and something like it called lexan. Something you should know about it is it worps with time, and if it is some were you ratties can chew it can chip like glass. We have lost a hamster to chewing around the drill holes and sallowing the plastic chips.

CardboardCastles said:
what if it were plexiglass with drilled air holes?

The thing about plexiglass....it's very fragile in that it will crack VERY easily. So, when drilling holes in it, you have to be extremely careful...even then you aren't guaranteed not to crack it. Our's is mounted to the outside of the cage bottom....and has a few cracks in it. :oops:

Thanks for the replys!

I actually had some very thin plexi lying around (majority of it is the "glass" from some large ikea picture frames), so cost shouldn't be an issue. However. air flow was definately a concern! I have to drill holes into the pexi regardless to get the ties through to attach to the cage, but not sure if i want to be drilling hundreds of holes for ventillation.

I think I will do the sides and front with the galvinized hardware cloth (as mentioned above, the vinyl / powder coated stuff isn't readily available here in Ontario). The top and back I will try with the plexi for now and switch it out later if iI have too. I like the idea of the top being plexi since I have a 141 and with a flat sturdy surface I can put an additional play area ontop of the cage.

Oh and the question still stands about the bottom of the FN though! Does the bottom of an FN have to be modified with hardware cloth? or is the tray it comes with enough?

One more question to through into the mix ... at what age will a male rat be considered full grown, or to the size where the 1" spacing on an FN should be sufficient?

Ya, I would definitely do the bottom as well.
My males are usually big enough by the time they are 4 months old. But if you have small rats, you'll need to wait longer. A rat is pretty much full grown at around 7 months old.

Ok ... i think I'm going to cheap out :(

I went to home depot and the galvanized hardware cloth was ~$17 for a 2' x 5' roll so i would need at least a few rolls. Instead of spending that money on the cloth which I would be disposing of 3 months anyways, I think I'll be buying a second cage which I can house the pups in until they can get into the FN unmodified. I can then use the 2nd cage as hospital / back up cage which I should have anyways.

Bah... i just feel I'm depriving my boys of the FN ... and I dont even have them yet. :shock:

Actually, that's a very good idea. I have to say, I really hate a modified FN. I can't wait to take it off mine. In due time your babies will have their paradise home. :thumbup:

Back