Modifying a FN 142

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Hey peeps! Picking up *at least* one FN model 142, maybe a 141 just in case because I am crazy.

Question! How much hardware cloth do I need for the 142? I can get a three foot by one foot piece for 2.49 (no idea if that's good or not) at the local hardware store and I figure I could just buy that here and when I get the cage(s) I can just modify them right away, decorate, plop boys in when Rubin and Norrin get here.

Any clue? I remember seeing a link about somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it!

Thanks in advance!!

Call around to hardware stores and see if you can find a place that carries:

"2'x8' rolls of hardwire mesh with vinyl coating"

I bought 3 rolls and had a little left over, but I had enough. I would strongly suggest seeing if anyone in your area has that size. THe rolls here cost under $8 so I think you'd be saving money buying it in a roll andbuying a nice pair of tin snips or wire cutters.

I have the dimensions needed for each panel at home but I can PM you with those if no one posts them in the mean time.

4 @ 21.5" x 22.5" ---sides
4 @ 21.5" x 15.5" ---doors
4 @ 34.5" x 22.5" --Top, bottom, back and back

It was sooooooo much more convenient to ziptie everything first and then assemble it. The top and bottom have to be done after assembly, of course, but it's sooooo easy if you can get someone to pass the zipties back through from the other side for you! ^__^

Oh goody! Thank you so much!! I will call around for that. The vinyl coating will also be better than the galvanized stuff, too.

I'll be sure to modify it before I assemble it; I can just hear my dad grumbling now. :p LOL

Picking it up SATURDAY as we greatly underestimated the amount of crap I have. 0.0 The entire Suburban was PACKED. It was bananas. I actually checked out a local store here by the Fort but they didn't carry the FN at all; just Superpet cages which I wasn't happy with spending the same amount of money for a cage 1/3 the size and mostly made out of plastic. I saw the old cage I used to have there for almost TWICE what I paid. No way Jose! So I shall wait until we drive up to Topeka. Have the hardware cloth though! YaY!

YAY!!! I'm so glad you were able to get the hardware cloth! You got it in rolls, right? Hope so! It will save you lots and LOTS of money ^_^

Back