Mmm chicken bones....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktina

My rats love chicken bones and were all fighting over them!

Three of the girls pulling in each direction :lol:
ra5.jpg

Tosca
ra7.jpg

Ancy
ra6.jpg

Leela
ra1.jpg

ra.jpg

Java and Leela
ra2.jpg

They also like their fruits and veggies...
Tosca
077.jpg

Reggie
079.jpg

Womble
080.jpg

Silly Arden with a noodle mustache!
083.jpg

Jack
084.jpg

And a kinda Christmasy pic of Reggie I took a while ago
028.jpg

And a yawning Jezebel
ra55.jpg

I heard they can splinter in their intestines:? Im sorry i might be wrong, my vet told me not to feed boo chicken bones, but grizzle was alright. I MAY be WRONG though. Lol But if they arent dry, they would be good for them. I never thought of that before lol :)

That's with nonrodents because they don't chew their food into tiny pieces like rats do. :wink: There's no danger of that with ratties.

They sure are having fun!

I don't give chicken bones or any bones anymore to my rats. We've had a couple of scares where two of our rats actually choked on chicken grizzle and rib bone.
We were so scared but after half a day they came out of it. I just can't bring myself to giving bones anymore.
Now bananas... my guys love bananas. :D

Yeh, splintering is an issue in bigger animals, mainly dogs as they will be crunching the bones right in half, but with rats their bites are so small they are litterally grating the bone away and it won't splinter... Mine girls love chicken bones and it does wonders for their teeth. I've never had an issue with choking as I only give them the fatter bones out of the legs ... the only get ethm occasionally... but they really love them!...

So yes, with rats, chickenbones are fine, as they're not snapping them and so they won't splinter, they're just grating bits off and the bits they swallow are pretty much powery anyway. And stick to bigger bones to avoid choking or spiking fellow cagemates with the ends of them as they flee with their prize hehe. x

Really? I've never had a problem with choking, but my rats only get chicken bones when we get chicken and have enough for all 13, which isn't often. :p

When I saw the chicken goo with bones and ratties, I felt a little queasy in my
tummy. :puke: :lol7: I don't want to be a party pooper but did you know that any meat especially on bones, bacteria grows at a phenomenal rate after it reaches room temperature. That is why most food is not safe to eat after 2 hours when unrefrigerated. :sick:

I love your other pics of your ratties. They are so adorable, especially the noodle mustache rattie! :love1:

Back