Mixed Signals from Izzie

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

So, some of you may know that my Izzie is getting up there. He is, in all actuality, not that old. But with genetics or what have you, he seems to be wearing out a lot sooner than I had hoped for. He'll be two in January.

He has been getting thinner and seems to have balance issues sometimes. He sleeps a lot. He has pretty ragged breathing, which no meds seem to help. But other than that he has been pretty bright eyed and bruxxes for me and boggles. Loves to snuggle and nap with me or Alexis. I'd moved him to his own cage with just Davis and Laura for a bit, but recently had them all in the FN together, and he'll now be moving back in with just his two friends because the more rats there are the more stressed he seems.

Tonight I've had him out and something is definitely different... He's a bit slower and he won't brux for me. Normally all you have to do is touch him and he bruxxes. I've even been stroking his cheeks and giving him scritches, which he LOVES, but nothing. And his eyes seem pretty hazy... Not as clear or bright as normal. Even I'm not the only one who can see it.

He still eats with gusto... I'm pretty sure he ate his weight in chicken and rice tonight, haha. But is that enough to keep him around, or should I finally let him go? I'm just not sure... Up until now he's been older but still "there". Now it doesn't really seem like he's in there, except when he eats... What bothers me most is the bruxxing thing. I even had Alexis give him scritches because she has longer nails, and nothing... :/ It's normally so easy to get him to do it.

I dunno. What do you guys think?

It is a really hard call.......we all struggle with this question.....I don't really know what to say. I usually feel if they are no longer eating, and doesn't seem to be enjoying life then it is time. I would think as long as Izzie is eating, and still snuggling with his cage mates that he is enjoying his life....just in a more slow laid back way....but only you can see him breathing and moving around and be able to judge for sure.
I am sorry you have to be even thinking about this...It is so hard. :hugs:

It scares me so much to hear you say your boy is slowing down and won't be 2 until January. My babies will be 2 in January and to me they are still "the babies" I can't bear to think of them getting older....This is the sad part of owning rats.....I can't imagine what I will do what out them...any of them :sad3:

For me it's the eating, once they stop enjoying their food, then it's game over. Has Izzie been separated yet? Maybe he's a little traumatized being in the big colony and he needs to find his happy place and he can't do that if he keeps going back into the big colony?

He's slowed down considerably since Denny's death in February, but only the past month or so has he been like this. I think it's super unfair that he's as young as he is but seems/acts like a rat much older.

I'm not sure. I guess the eating will be the one thing left to go. The day he doesn't chow down will probably be the day he goes.

He is separated again, with Davis and Laura, my quietest boys. He seems to prefer that to having so many others around him.

Still eating with gusto... Actually seeking food. He probably ate more chicken than I did tonight!!

Also he's bruxxing and boggling again. :)

I agree. Cricket must have upset him more than I thought.

Reports from home are good. Even have Alexis keeping him out with her while she studies, and feeding him yummy stuff. :)

Back