Might be adopting a BLIND Girl rattie

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

So I might be adopting a completely blind, 5 week old girl in the next couple weeks and was wondering what I need to do to help her adjust. I have a Ferret Nation 142 so its pretty big for her to get around in. I have 4 other girls that would have to intro to her. Can anyone share there experiences or knowledge with blind rats? Thanks

i have one and she is the dare devil of the group and can be found purchased precariously on the top edge of the cage during out time. they dont rely on their sight alone, well hardly at all really.

My Bonnie was blind. To tell the truth she behaved like any other rattie. She would climb and get into everything, but when she would leap off of things my heart would stop because she didn't seem to realize her ability to estimate hieght was way off.

I have never had a completely blind rat (that I know of), but I did have a Syrian Hamster who was born without eyes - her name was Bianca and she was adorable.
I know that Bianca never acted any differently from my other Syrian's, you would never have known that she was completely blind by the way she behaved. I would watch her more closely during freerange, than I would my other Syrian's, but they are more clumsy than rats on a whole and they do tend to tumble off things regularly.
I am sure your girl will be fine.

My Sophee is blind. And she does everything a normal rattie does. I would recommend just being a little quieter when approaching the cage , and try to talk in a sweet voice. I know if i just go up to the cage with no warning all loud she will get startled so bad and her little heart will race.

My Melody is blind (missing one eye and blind in the other), they used their other senses for 'seeing'. Her ears are always perked forward, she relys on her whiskers as well. Some things I do because she bites. I do not put my fingers through the bar (but that also might be the past owners who fed them that way). I call her name as I come close to her and say 'nice hand'. I use the same terms all the time so she knows what they mean. I am very cautious around her with my fingers (also I don't think her past family treated her or her sister very well so that doesn't help). Good Luck!

Rats really don't rely on their eye sight, so the blind rats are not at a disadvantage.
Treat her the same you do all the others. If anything, she will have her other senses stronger which actually puts her at an advantage.

Back