Mia's possible PT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

I'm not sure if I should put this in the "Behavior" forum or this one, so if a Mod could move it to the right one, I would appreciate it.

We noticed a little while ago that Mia had developed a head tilt. So on pay day, we brought her in to the vet so he could take a look at her and perscribe her medication. He checked her over, first suspecting she had an inner ear infection or a mild URI. But she hasn't done any sneezing since she was born. So the vet said it could very possibly be PT, but it could also be an ear infection like her brother Rattrap had. However, for the last little while especially, Mia has been acting almost "dumb" she stares at absolutley nothing and always seems confused, sometimes it's like she can't control her head, other times it's almost like it's too heavy for her. She always generally seems confused.

I've never experienced PT before, what do you guys think? Does it sound like PT?

It could also be ear infection...they do get confused with the ear infection especially if they have the tilt. They have a hard time telling the floor from the ceiling.
I'd treat it as an ear infection. How old is she?

Regardless of which it is, the treatment is the same ... aggressive treatment with antibiotics (baytril + amoxicillin, or cloramphenicol) and an anti-inflamatory.
(info from Rat Health Care book)

Hope it is an ear infection and that she is soon feeling better.

I'm hoping it's an ear infection too.
The vet said he couldn't get any evidence suggesting it's an ear infection, but he started her on baytril for now.
She goes back on Thursday to see if there's any improvement/other drugs needed.

Back