Meet Simon the Squirrel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

So on Thursday I got a call from my sister saying that her boyfriend had found a chipmunk. From what I am told the little guy turned up Wednesday night on his shed floor crying for his mom. So my sister's bf left him there overnight hoping his mom would come for him but by Thursday afternoon his mom still hadn't come for him so my sister and her bf called me. It turns out he is still too small for hard food so currently we are feeding him baby food made with soy milk and mushy rat lab blocks. He is living in my hospital cage with a heating pad. Luckily he is just big enough to know how to clean himself and all that stuff and he loves attention. So here he is....

100_1043.jpg

100_1044.jpg

100_1048.jpg

100_1049.jpg

100_1050.jpg

100_1051.jpg

100_1052.jpg

100_1053.jpg

100_1054.jpg

100_1057.jpg

100_1058.jpg

100_1059.jpg

100_1061.jpg

100_1062.jpg

100_1063.jpg

EDIT- :doh: Simon is actually a squirrel.

Simon is very sweet.
Hope he is able to be gradually releaed back into the outdoors when old enough.
Would a wildlife rehab center help you with that?

yup that's a squirell! It's much too large to be a baby chipmunk. We've got a TON of chipmunks around my house, and they're SO teeny compared to that guy!
You've got a baby squirell, and i'd be trying to get him to a wildlife centre, so they can rehab him.

Good for you though keeping him warm and safe!
:hugs:

I agree! It's a baby squirrel and please drop him off at a wildlife rehab. They know best what how to raise him. I don't know what the law is in Canada but in the US it's prohibited to rehab/keep wildlife. Baby squirrels are adorable but at a certain point they become pretty vicious, to the point where you can't handle them (and you shouldn't).
He/she might have fallen out of the nest. Maybe you can look around and see if there is a nest close by where you found the squirrel.

Don't drop him off at a wildlife centre!!! The one in Midland (as far as I know) is the only one and the MNR doesn't care about animals enough to let them take in wee ones that people just find. There are groups of caring people who rehab these animals and release them but under the nose of the MNR. PM me for more info.

It was the tail that threw us off but I guess it will get bigger as he gets older. As for his mother we are pretty sure another animal got her and Simon's siblings but we did look around and left him alone overnight so his mother could come and get him but she didnt show up. As for a wildlife rehabilitation center I definatly will not be dropping him off there and will be pming sausage4ever for some info.

I didn't know that the Wildlife Rehab Center up there isn't any good :(. I just assumed it would be a good place since I volunteered at one and they were excellent.

Anyway, good luck finding a good rehabber!! Keep us posted!

Some kinds of red squirrels don't have really fluffy tails like black or grey squirrels :D

Soooooooooooo cute...........

Quick update: Sausage4ever has given me a number to contact a rehabber so I will be calling her tomorrow to see what she has to say but as of now Simon is doing well he loves to climb up and down people from their shoulders to their feet.

Back