Meet Kiwi... (dwarf hamster) and now her Family

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Kiwi's story is sad in the beginning. She was born and lived with all her siblings in a tiny plastic tote (there were 7 of them in there), boxo, a water bottle and each other...no wheel, no house, nothing to build a nest with.

They were owned by a bunch of asian kids whose parents worked or owned a souvenir store near my work and they left the hamsters there for the kids to play with.

Almost every day I would walk by and see those poor hamsters...the kids picking them up any which way, bopping them on the head, laughing, letting them run on hot pavement on the sidewalk in front of the store (almost getting stepped on by the foot traffic on Spadina). The tote (with no house) was left out in the full sun all day (and we have had some insanely hot days). There was one day that was actually cold and the hamsters were huddled together and barely moving :( Soon after this I decided that even if I couldn't help the hamsters I could try to improve their life a bit. I took a small wheel and a tiny igloo to the store, and when I went there I found the tiny plastic tote with just one hamster in it and tucked far away in a corner. I went to talk to the mom, as the kids weren't around. She at first had NO clue what I was talking about...then said "ohhh the rat?". I told her they were hamsters and she told me some had been sold and some had died. She had seen me over the weeks and said I could have the last one if I wanted as they didn't want it anymore.
So poor little Kiwi came home in a small box with me.
She was defensive and still rarely opens her eyes. She was also starving as they didn't have a real diet, just whatever random nuts the kids tossed in there...she was actually taking Oxbow from my hands almost as soon as I got her home. I had to be careful not to get bitten as to her Hands = Abuse/Fear :(

Aug2014dwarfhamstergirl4.jpg~original

Aug2014dwarfhamstergirl.jpg~original

Aug2014dwarfhamstergirl9.jpg~original

Aug2014dwarfhamstergirl3.jpg~original

September 1st I noticed Kiwi had a bigger belly and her nipples were bare like a rat who grooms the fur off around the nipples...I checked on Hamster Hideout forum and was assured she was pregnant...mass reading/information overload time as hamsters and their litters are very different.

Sep114Kiwibellyandnipples.jpg~original

Her biting had improved out of the cage, she was much more relaxed with my gentle treatment (less the scruffing for a second to get the belly pic).

Sep114Kiwi.jpg~original

Kiwi gave birth to 3 babies but one was stilborn or was culled right after it was born, but she does still have the 2 remaining pups. I am not allowed to touch them for 2 weeks as the mom will kill any pups with my scent on them...I am advised not to clean the cage, just put in water and food. I did remove the dead pup with a plastic spoon...soooo tiny!

So in awhile you will get pics of Kiwi and her babies (if they survive) but only text updates until then :D

The two weeks will fly by. Your heart will melt when you see them start to waddle out of the nest momma has them in. Cant wait to see what they look like. Dwarf hamsters are so cute when they are babies!

Awwww, poor sweetie was so incredibly lucky you were there for her. I hope she gets to enjoy a real life for a while with you. Here's hoping the nutrition was soon enough that the two remaining babies are healthy. What a darling! :heart:

The 2 surviving wee ones popped out of the nest about 10 days or so, but today was the first cage clean and handling by a human...they all did well...Kiwi especially, she had no interest in biting me (outside the cage) and the babies are adorable. :D

I attempted to sex them but wasn't very successful. I know the wee boys have to be removed by 4 weeks or soon after? Please tell me that when they are closer to that age they are easier to sex???

Kiwi and her babies

Sep2114Kiwiandherbabies.jpg

Sep2114Kiwiandherbabies2.jpg

girl maybe?

sep2114girlmaybe.jpg

Sep2114girlhammaybe.jpg

this is her in my hand

Sep2114babygirlham.jpg

boy? The bits looked different...haha

Sep2114babymaleham.jpg

Sep2114babyboyham.jpg

Sep2114maleham.jpg

It looks like you're correct. With hamsters the best way to tell is how close the "parts" are together. Girls will be closer together than boys. At 4 weeks boys will have noticeable parts. ;) I hate plastic cages for hamsters. They are always too small and hamsters usually are solitary animals. Those poor things should have never been kept like that. :( I'm glad Kiwi is safe now.

but omg.. they are gorgeous!!! Do they have homes yet? I would love to take the boy off you. :) Please pm and let me know

Cute little buggers!

And that story just breaks my heart, as much as I'm opposed to dwarf hamsters. I would have done the same thing given that I had seen her in that condition. Kiwi is one lucky girl.

However, be careful in sexing them as it's often difficult to tell them apart and these critters reproduce so quickly it's almost unbelievable. When I was younger my mother bought my brother and I each a dwarf hamster. I named mine Baby and he named his Nibbles (a fitting name considering she was a vicious as a wild cheetah).

The man she had bought them from had assured her that they were both males, but he had been wrong. Within a month we had over 256 dwarf hamsters and counting! It was crazy to try and control them. Some went to homes we found on our own and others to rescues who promised to take care of them.. Unfortunately, it was out of my hands and out of control.

But they are definitely the cutest little things, especially when they're just little babies.

Last edited:
Cute little buggers!

I tell you what though, be very careful when sexing them so that they are properly separated. My mother got my brother and I each a dwarf hamster when we were younger. The man who sold them to her was certain that both of them were males, but he was wrong.

The little critters produce so quickly it's almost unbelievable.. We ended up, within just a few months, with 256 dwarf hamsters. It was a nightmare.

I am getting help don't worry...the experts on the forum Hamster Hideout are helping me. I do the ano-genital method with my rat rescue litters as well so am pretty proficient. I will keep checking each time though, as I have another 2 weeks before the boy needs to be removed.

I am getting help don't worry...the experts on the forum Hamster Hideout are helping me. I do the ano-genital method with my rat rescue litters as well so am pretty proficient. I will keep checking each time though, as I have another 2 weeks before the boy needs to be removed.

I apologize if that post sounded rude; it wasn't meant to be at all! I have no doubt in your abilities to take care of Kiwi and her litter and her story is so upsetting. I hope everything goes well for you and, if you need any advice, I've had more hamsters than I care to count and very minimal problems.

Enjoy them while they're small though, definitely. It's when they're the cutest. :3

I apologize if that post sounded rude; it wasn't meant to be at all! I have no doubt in your abilities to take care of Kiwi and her litter and her story is so upsetting. I hope everything goes well for you and, if you need any advice, I've had more hamsters than I care to count and very minimal problems.

Enjoy them while they're small though, definitely. It's when they're the cutest. :3

Not rude, just reassuring you :)

Welcome officially to the world little fuzz butts! It must have been so hard not to touch them for two weeks! (The joy of rat babies :heart: )
They are very cute!

I guess Minnieflower lost out on the little boy. Thats OK, I'm sure he has a great home. Any luck placing the little girl and her mummy?

OK, this is the last time I am going to try and post on this thread!! Stoopid computer!
What was the final outcome? Where did everyone end up?

If you still have them when my rodent room is finished, I'm thinking I'll take them here. It won't be for awhile, but I'll keep you posted.

Back