meds and measures

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

Where can I find info on what meds to give my little girl, and how to measure? She seems somewhat under the weather the past two days, and I was wondering if she can take tylenol.. but not sure I should give her anything, 'cause it's hard to tell if she's feeling poorly or not. We all have off-days.. thanks in advance..

I'm going to move this to the health and general care section. Reference is for articles and info posts.

It would be better to understand what's going on if you could describe what's happening, sneezing, down, in pain. What's she doing or not doing that's making you worry.
Giving tylenol to a rat is not recommended. Most things you can give are prescribed by a vet. Do you have a vet to take her to? Most times that is the best option.

I wouldn't give her anything over the counter, not before you can pinpoint what's troubling her.
Can you tell us why you feel she's off? What symptoms is she showing? And how old is she?

Just the past few days she's been sleeping LOTS more than usual, and when she's up, she is less active and not so interested in coming out of her cage to play. I have an appointment with a vet in town for next week to discuss surgery for the growth behind her ear, but I don't think that's the thing that's bugging her in this case. Maybe she's just having a few slower days??..

In my original question I was thinking how it's hard to tell if she's in discomfort or pain, and then I realized I don't have a clue what to give her if she is.. but as I write this, I'm thinking probably it's not too bad..

How old is she? I've noticed that many rats when they reach 18 months dramatically slow down and sleep more.
But what you describe could be a sign of being in pain. I think it's best to hold off until you see the vet though.

She's not quite one year old. I think she was born in September last year. This morning she seemed a bit more energetic again. I'm keeping watch..

She's always been alone, and seems quite okay with that. But that said, I'm starting to look into getting a buddy for her anyway. I wanted to wait until she's recovered from surgery first, because it will probably be stressful changing her situation.

Any recommendations on where to look in Ottawa? I've started with the Humane Society, but they don't have any ratties up for adoption at the moment. There are two ratteries I've seen listed on line, but it's still cold calling for me. I'd actually prefer to get a female of similar age, but a baby girl would be most welcome too!

Back