Maurice... Dec. 2004 - Dec. 4, 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley

It's with great sadness I have to write this. Maurice was just a few days short of his 3rd birthday. I noticed last night he was not himself, as when I went to pick him up he tried to bite me. I pet him anyway, and knew that his time would be soon.

Maurice came to me from London, ON along with his brother Willow. They were about a year old at that time, and arrived with transport to my place a few days before Christmas. At the time, all my rats had been smaller, and Maurice was huge compared to them :) Maurice was a bit of a strange rat at first, and was showing aggression towards his brother. It eventually became so bad I had to separate them. Well... once separated, Maurice calmed down a lot. The longer he was alone, the more friendly he became with us until he became my 'couch rat'. He would hang out with us on the couch cuddling, he would nap beside us when he got tired. He was a real sweety, and soon found his place as my heart rat.

I tried multiple introduction, but all failed. I finally decided, just to stop intros, as it was stressing everyone involved. Maurice is the only rat I've had that ever seemed happiest away from other rats. As Maurice aged, he continued to lose movement in his back end, but it never dampened his spirit. He was still so happy to cuddle and eat everything we gave him. In the past two months, he lost all movement in his back end, and I know it was tough for him, but his spirit was still so bright. My little man never gives up, he loved life, and loved his cuddles. I miss him so much :cry:

2.jpg

maurice2.jpg

maurice3.jpg

bewboys4.jpg

maurice1.jpg

1.jpg

Peaceful Maurice, napping in the sun this summer.
3.jpg

So sorry. He must have been a wonderful ratty companion. I love that photo of him snoozing in the sun.

You gave him a very long and happy life. No wonder you will miss him.

Oh Maurice... such a beautiful love. I remember him clearly. When I went to pet his cheeks, he leaned hard into my hand and loved to be petted.
He had a good life with you and lived such a long beautiful life.
I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry:

Oh no, he was so close to three years. How sad.

I'm sorry Shelley. I know how important he was to you.

Awww Shel, Maurice was such a wonderful boy. He was like my Moth, happiest with you and not other rats. I am sorry he left you just before his 3rd birthday. ((hugs))

Back