Martins Playpen

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
I thought it was time to have a thread about the martins playpen.
( http://www.martinscages.com )

The matins playpen is a great place to keep escapes contained when you are busy cage cleaning or to give ratties a change when you have a pet sitter/babysitter who isn't comfortable with trying to catch free rangers to put them back into their cage.
The martins playpen also provides the ratties with a different experience then free ranging or out time with you.

So post your pics of your martins playpens here!
Lets share those ideas :joy:

rattiesintheplaypen.jpg

................................... Pretty bare ....

Jan21fiveyounggirlsinplaypen01.jpg

................................... Getting better .......

Dec08newgirlsintheplaypen.jpg

................................... Now this is more like it ....

Dec08Joyclimbingonrope.jpg

................................... Joy likes rope climbing .....

Feb19Charlotteandthesnake.jpg

................................... Charlotte checks out the snake .....
(She has a wonderful godmother who likes to spoil little ratties :) )

I've used the martin's playpen for several years and I still have it for just in case. It's great if you can't be with the rats every minute, you close it up and do your chores.
I also believe it would make an excellent cage for rats, all that space!! Just pop in some shelves and a door.

Here are my pics, I had to dig them up:

pen2.jpg

pen1.jpg

And the smaller playpen:

smSmallplaypen2.jpg

I really would love to get one some day. But all I have to do is show my hubby a picture of something that resembles a cage and he has an anxiety attack :panic: (I collect cages like shoes).

Great pics guys. Lots of fun stuff for them to do!!

Oh god Debbie, so do I! I just recently donated a bunch of my cages. They were collecting dust bunnies. :giggle:
I'm so bad when it comes to cages, I want to try them all.

I'm with you guys, Jo and Debbie... I always want the newest and best cage... I SO want a Martin's playpen but I just can NOT justify it right now LOL

do they close up for easy storage for people with smaller living spaces. (like my tiny one bedroom apartment) cause i would love to have one

That's really cool. We're going to have to get something like that. We're finding the new place doesn't really have any where we can let the ratties roam. They escape the couch, the bathroom has this space by the cupboards so they can get in there and disapear to who knows where, and they can jump from the bed lol little buggers. So I think we're going to have to invest in one of those for sure.

I've had three of these (donated one and sold the other two)

I had two of the large ones and one smaller that I had custom made to be about 36 inches square (don't recall the exact dimensions now)

I also got a door made in one of the sides and I kept two foster rats in it as their full time cage.......they loved it!

sadly with knee and back problems I am no longer able to squat nor to bend at the waist to get them in and out of a playpen on the floor, and I can't kneel either, so I had to get rid of my playpens

They are awesome though, I highly recommended them for anyone looking for a safe play place for your ratties.

Girls might get a little bored if they are used to being able to free range in a room with taller things to climb (like my spoiled bRats LOL) but they have so much room, you can really do a lot with them.

I did find that the lid on the large one would sag after some time.......which is why I requested a somewhat smaller custom made play pen

when I can save up, I want to get a much smaller version to use on a table top, with a door on one side and maybe a fixed roof/top- this way I could put my girls on the table and not worry about those couple of suicidal ones who will fling themselves off into space (Paige and Evie, you know who I mean!! :giggle: )

Martins is a great company to do business with too.

Those are called Snap Inns or something like that. I can't find them anywhere anymore but I do believe it's only available in Canada.

I'm not too fond of the martin's play pen only because i like to sit down in the area to play with the rats. It's good if you need to leave the rat alone unattended but not for interaction.

thanks! it seems the Hagen one isn't made any more...?

the Super Pet waffle house isn't easy to find, either, but I found a store that I am pretty sure does not sell animals :dance:

http://www.petstore.com/

and they've got some really good prices on several things (some things that I need, like food dishes for my cats, who are using my dishes)

Back