marbles is stilll sneezing. helpp!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

My rat marbles is 10 weeks old, and I've had her for about 2 1/2 weeks.
She is still sneezing and making little peeping noises off and on.

People on another forum told me to change the bedding ( i use fleece ) to just shredded paper towel to see if it would help her sneezing, and it didnt at all. I moved the cage closer to the heater as well, to see if she was cold or anything, it seemed to help a little, but still sneezing.

She also does some weird twitching thing when she wakes up or at night (occasionally) almost like tourettes.

Help please? Im worried about her. :( :cry3:

Twitching like Tourettes? a repetitive tic? Could it be like hiccups?

It might be time to bring your little one to see a vet, one that can listen to the lungs and determine if she really does need meds.

We're trying t o find a vet around here that's not going to cost us an arm and a leg.
The one we were going to take her to is going to cost 138.00 because they want to xray her.
That's not including medication.

There's another one thats closer that's closed today, so we have to call them tomorrow.

That's exactly what i was thinking. She's sneezing, so an xray?

We're still calling around to find a vet with experience in rat care, not one that doen't have a clue. :rant:

I posted about a vet close to where i live, and i got a reply with one that does rabbit care, so we assumed they do rats too, but they also want to xray her.

:gaah:

The xray is to check for lung damage or tumors and such. I can see them doing that if they can hear lots of congestion but not for sneezing.

I called them again today to ask more questions, and apparantly my boyfriend had her out and she had wet sneezes a couple of times, so it makes more sense now.

He gets paid tomorrow, so we're going to bring her out to the vet regardless. I don't want to end up losing her, so we'll due without a couple things this week. We're going to see if we can fit her in tomorrow.

Wish her luck!

You can always refuse to have the x-rays done if they suggest them after examining her and go ahead with a course of antibiotics. That's usually what we would do - start with ABs to see if that works, then follow up with x-rays or further diagnostics if its not helping or there's a suspicion that there's something else going on. The vets may be experienced, but are cautious and want to give you all the options possible.

There was a big thing on TV last night about Vets that are in it for the money and not because they care about the animals. They were doing unneccesary procedures on animals just for the money (that sounds like animal testing haha.. its not. E.g. trimming a rabbits teeth when they just don't need doing)

Id suggest doing what Alicemcmallis has said above ^^^

Latest posts

Back