Man banned from having pets after slicing cat's tongue

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/20 ... 6-sun.html

City animal inspectors say a 10-year pet ban placed on a man convicted of animal cruelty this week sets a precedent in Ottawa.

The 30-year-old man pleaded guilty to animal cruelty and received 18 months of probation, in addition to the ban on owning or having control of animals.

The Ottawa Humane Society said it's encouraged that the ban sends a message about the seriousness of abusing animals, even though the society had hoped for a lifetime prohibition.

In 2007, the humane society had to put down a four-month-old kitten because it had been beaten, strangled and had its tongue sliced with a knife.

The court ordered the convicted man to seek treatment for mental health issues and banned him from living in the same home as an animal.

"While we had hoped for a lifetime ban on owning animals in this case, the 10-year ban is precedent setting for us," animal inspector Miriam Smith said. "Hopefully it will send a strong message about the consequences of abusing animals."

The society has noticed an increase in animal cruelty cases involving mental health issues.

lilangel said:
The society has noticed an increase in animal cruelty cases involving mental health issues.

I'm not surprised about this. The province has been shutting down almost all assisted living facilities where people with mental health issues used to live under supervision. Now they're out there on their own, the responsibility of family members who can't cope. Integrating the mentally ill into society is a nice idea but reality is starting to crash down on us and it bites.

(I have a special community living centre near to my house and more than once I've had a fellow on his way there detour towards my house and attack my dog. One day I had to grab my son and hold him back from giving the guy a beat down when he saw him go after Sophie. How was he supposed to know that the guy was sick? All he saw was a dude attacking his dog. Thank God I stopped him!)

that's a great stand. it seems like taking animal welfare cases more seriously is a catching thing. i just heard today that NB has passed the bill to adjust the SPCA thingy (the proper term escapes me at the moment) that now the maximum penalty for animal abuse is $100,000 and/or 18 months in prison. they are now talking about a making a bill to amend the spca act from the description of abuse being "the willful abusive or neglectful act" to being "the knowingly abusive or neglectful act". this will mean that you could actually face punishment for locking your dog in the car in the summer heat if this passes. as of now you can do that and have no punishment if it was not your intention to kill the dog. they were also talking about changing the companion animals standing as property to declaring them living beings with their own basic rights. they quoted cats and dogs as their example, i do not know if they will include other companion animals if they are kept as companions such as captive birds, herps or pet rodents though. in either case though it is a great step in the right direction and i find it immensely satisfying that these bills are being presented in new brunswick. a province that has been notorious for horrendously slack animal protection laws. as horrible as the oromoncto case was if this is the result of those dogs scarifice in a way, i can't be sorry for them. i mean, i'm sorry they had to suffer for this to take place but at least their suffering will not have gone in vain.

MumsyRat said:
lilangel said:

I'm not surprised about this. The province has been shutting down almost all assisted living facilities where people with mental health issues used to live under supervision. Now they're out there on their own, the responsibility of family members who can't cope. Integrating the mentally ill into society is a nice idea but reality is starting to crash down on us and it bites.

(I have a special community living centre near to my house and more than once I've had a fellow on his way there detour towards my house and attack my dog. One day I had to grab my son and hold him back from giving the guy a beat down when he saw him go after Sophie. How was he supposed to know that the guy was sick? All he saw was a dude attacking his dog. Thank God I stopped him!)

oh how aweful for your son Mumsy.... but are they still attaking your poor dog?

Back