male intros(update finally got a video up)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

Okies well i am trying to intro Buck and Mr.Bean together for quite some time now and having a bit of trouble doing so.

When they are together on a bed they seem well at first but then Mr Bean wants to always pull buck by the hair like hes a doll or something and wondered why he does this? its all the time i try too buck moves away get a bit mad but no fights he more just goes away from bean. I have been trying almost since we got them. they are both side by side in cages so the see and smell each other all the time.

When i first started they did have the puffy hair going on but since they do not do that anymore only the hair pulling thing.

I will try tomorrow or so to get a video of them doing what they do.

Please note that i can not neuter any rats at this time.

When you say hair pulling, is it almost like a yank? Like what mom rats do to their babies?
How long are the intros? and what does Buck do when Mr. Bean pulls his hair? Do they go all out into a fight?

This was Gophers BIG hurdle even after being neutered and introing him him to intact males. He would pull their hair, then run.
I just decided it would be less stressful on all to intro him to some ladies, since he was neutered.
He did it AGAIN with the girls too. Even the itty bitty Tulip, and Lily.
I'm not entirely sure on why he does it, it reminded me of 'mothering'???

He still does it the odd time to the babies, but they don't seem bothered by it one bit.
I'd be intrested in seeing a video.

Mothering... being playful... I really think that's where it's coming from. But it's how the others react to it.

My mom's Morris is like this. He's a little bug. He'll run after a buddy, pull his hair and run off laughing hysterically. But once in a while a buddy will get fed up and run after him in the cage and flip him but Morris loves that too. It's almost like playing tag.
I honestly don't see it as bad. It all depends on the buddy though. If they can accept it or even join in the fun, then it's going to work out or if they can step up, be alpha and set the hair pulling fiend in his place, that will work out too.
Continue the intros!

Yes kind of like his trying to pull a baby but sometimes he will just go up to buck and yank hair a bit then leave too. Buck turns fast to him and then sometimes just leaves; he has not puffed or got into a fight because of the hair pulling.

i noticed when i first introed Biscotte & pepper; Biscotte did the same thing too but sh stopped after getting to know pepper.

I most times do the intros in the evening so i will try tonight to get a video of them introing for sure.

I would so love to have two males together :doh: (other then the spca babies :giggle: )

Sorry for the videos to be so dark >.< its my cam i do not know still how to use it well :giggle:

You will see in the video's Buck(beige) tries to clean Mr.Bean(black hooded) but Bean does not really want him to kind of; also Bean mounted buck a couple times, buck did not do too much but move away after a sec or two.

No major fights.

[youtube:2xuo6x6x]1tWA3URIws4[/youtube:2xuo6x6x]

[youtube:2xuo6x6x]AnEOnJGIQ1s[/youtube:2xuo6x6x]

Right now i have them in each other's cages As buck is not fond of hammocks and stuff so i can not really switch items around.

Oh btw Bean did not do the hair pull at all this time they were together on bed for about an hour also.

Mr. Bean is definitely the alpha. When he does those little mountings it's because he's trying to pee on Buck, claiming him as his. Buck is very passive ,a sweet rat.
If you continue with these intros, you will have them living together in no time.

Back